GTR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the Skyline world and I have currently my R33 dissambled for total overhaul from the LHD conversion it has. The car is using it's original steering rack which has a selenoid in there I believe. But I think it does have as well a steering wheel angle sensor for the HICAS and probably the ETS system? Not sure for the last one if is related. If it has the collair/sensor in the steering wheel shaft arround the wiper/headlight switches, how can I read the % or voltage and see where is at or to get it in the center once is installed and all is aligned?

Sorry if this a dumb question but figured to ask first here rather than venture myself and break stuff before I ask.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The steering angle sensor doesn't output an analog voltage, it has two outputs which give overlapping pulses as the angle changes. This is generically called a rotary encoder. The hicas ecu counts the pulses to see how far amd fast the wheel is turning and because the pulses overlap can detect the direction the wheel is turning.

Unfortunately i cant remember how it detects dead centre; maybe either a separate signal or a gap in the pulses.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The steering angle sensor doesn't output an analog voltage, it has two outputs which give overlapping pulses as the angle changes. This is generically called a rotary encoder. The hicas ecu counts the pulses to see how far amd fast the wheel is turning and because the pulses overlap can detect the direction the wheel is turning.

Unfortunately i cant remember how it detects dead centre; maybe either a separate signal or a gap in the pulses.

AlexJ, thank for your reply. Could I assume the clock spring inside that is/was use(d) for the airbag (mine doesn't have the OEM steering wheel anymore) could give me the correct center for the "angle sensor" I mean, if i turn fully left until it "tight up" or lock as the clock spring run out of distance, then I turn back counting the laps and set the "middle" ? Not sure how to do that other way?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts