GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya All,

I am contemplating the purchase of one of these fantastic automobiles, but I first need to decide IF I can afford to run one.....Purchasing and Insurance isn't a problem as I am about to turn 25, with my own house etc....... and I do approx 70 miles a day (back and to to work - not including social travel)
My few questions are;

Realistically, under normal driving conditions....what is the expected mpg one can expect.....ie, how many miles out of a full tank and how much is a full tank ?

What are the servicing costs etc.... ?

Tyres......how long do they last....(REALLY).....not including those of you that attend track days ?

How old are most of you and what are you guys paying for insurance ????

No rush, I shall be purchasing my next car in June so I have a while to decide.......

L8terz All

Scott

·
Registered
49 Posts
First thing is, figure out if you will be upgradingin the car or not (of course you are, so don't try to lie to us)
Then find out about how much hp you're aiming for, that will help the guys give you a rough estimate on MPG

I think there is an Insurance section on this forum, so that might be a good place to check for average rates.

Tires will depend on the wear/grip rating (UTQG) of them and how you drive (take your tires to track days, drag races and wicked burnouts, or baby em).
The stickier the tire is, the quicker they'll wear off. For agressive daily driving I'd say shoot for mid to high 100's for UTQG.
Also, I believe there is a Tire/Wheel/Suspension section on here also.

Enjoy :smokin:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Hi Scott,

Realistically, under normal driving conditions....what is the expected mpg one can expect.....ie, how many miles out of a full tank and how much is a full tank ?
Depends on a number of factors really. Given these cars can be tuned in many different ways, it's difficult to say with any certainty what any given Skyline will do in terms of MPG. To give you a benchmark - I do about 160+ miles on a tank costing £35-£40 (Super Unleaded). My journeys are mostly stop/start however, so if you're on the open road you should expect marginally higher MPG. I'm also running full boost all of the time @ 412bhp - so I would imagine my fuel economy is slightly lower than, say, a standard Skyline.

I would hazard a guess based on what you've already said that you would be spending in the region of £80 a week on fuel.

What are the servicing costs etc.... ?
Best estimate (I haven't yet had to service mine, but I have asked around for prices) is to budget for at least £300, with additional costs for major servicing and/or brake pads, etc.

Tyres......how long do they last....(REALLY).....not including those of you that attend track days ?
Skylines come with Bridgestones as standard, which are widely regarded as a more softer compound than Falkens, etc. Again from conversations with others I have been told to expect in the region of 8000 miles use on Bridgestones, going up to 11000 for Falkens, etc. This is of course completely subjective depending on how you drive.

How old are most of you and what are you guys paying for insurance ????
I'm 24, and currently paying about £1400 through Directline. This would be a lot greater were it not for the fact that it's currently done with me as a named driver, not the policyholder. Until I'm 25 Directline won't take my company car history (6 years NCB) into account - which is annoying really. I'd suggest doing an example quote on Directline, they seem to be very competitive.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
MeanRex7 said:
First thing is, figure out if you will be upgradingin the car or not (of course you are, so don't try to lie to us)
That is so true. :) Worth bearing that in mind as well Scott.

When I bought my Skyline, I told myself that since it was already modified I would be perfectly happy with it. I am, but this hasn't stopped my lust for more power, mods, etc :) Skylines are beasts in standard form, but there's always room for more power, more trick bits, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya Durzel............

Cheers for the info..........

Is your car modded.......didn't think that directline like modded cars on their polices................ or haven't you declared them ???

I'm guessing for the typres option, it might be better off getting a different wheel & tyre package..........come of a more common wheel size so the threads aren't that extortionate !!

When I am 25, my quotes through Directline are coming in at just under £1200..........does that sound about right ??

And 70 miles a day works out at approx £40 a week, not 80........... (I'm currently in a Mondeo TD trying to save some money after I recently sold my Audi TT Engined Mk2 Golf - I'm missing the power that had already !! :D )

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
stealth20v said:
Hiya Durzel............

Cheers for the info..........

Is your car modded.......didn't think that directline like modded cars on their polices................ or haven't you declared them ???
:rolleyes: Actually, I'm with Tesco (which is effectively Directline) - when I get my latest mods done I'll be declaring everything. As it stands currently there's nothing visually different about my car than a standard Skyline (apart from the exhaust perhaps)

When I am 25, my quotes through Directline are coming in at just under £1200..........does that sound about right ??
Sounds very good. :)

And 70 miles a day works out at approx £40 a week, not 80........... (I'm currently in a Mondeo TD trying to save some money after I recently sold my Audi TT Engined Mk2 Golf - I'm missing the power that had already !! :D )
70 miles a day works out at 350 miles over a working week which, assuming you did 200 miles on a tank (idealistic) would work out to about 2 tanks of petrol a week, perhaps 2 1/2 tanks - thus £80. Unless I'm missing something obvious?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts