GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just looking for a little advice please.
I know the R33 has a certain amount of preload in the transfer box (hence you can't do burnouts with just the fuse pulled) but does anybody know if that preload is maintained with the ignition etc switched off?
Basically when I put my R33 GTR on my ramp and try to turn both front wheel in the same direction, the rear wheels turn as well indicating that the car is in 4WD.
If I loosen the bleed nipple on the transfer box 'actuator' instantly a little fluid leaks out and the front wheels are freed from the rears.
I had an issue when I first got the car where it was permanently locked in 4WD and caused issues when trying to turn in reverse. Those issues no longer exist after I gave it a good service but I am now questioning if there is still a minor issue.

I look forward to any replies.
Edward.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Yes, the hydraulic pressure remains in the system after you turn the ignition off. It's usually relieved after 8 hours or so. IIRC, there is about 30psi as a minimum.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Knew I could depend on you to give a good response :)
That is what I was hoping, whenever I get it on the ramp I have always just literally driven it out of the garage so that explains it.
I can see why the fuse removal still damages the transfer on the R33, the front wheels could not be turned independent of the rears with that little bit of pressure in there so imagine the clutch plates wouldn't tolerate burnouts for long.

Thank you.
Edward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts