GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I a complete noob or what? I have driven two 4door R33 GTRs in my life: one was a silver one with standard engine and I also drove a yellow one with the Nismo bodykit at a festival a few years back.
Now the Nismo kitted one I drove had more power, but I thought that this was the result of the owners tuning (boost controller and decat exhaust systhem)??

So if the car I drove had the extra power (felt like [email protected] ,but not more) from factory , would mean that there has been a factory (even if it's Nismo tune , the car was available like that in the showroom, which makes it factory) 380HP rated RB26DETT????!!!!

Can somebody clear up the matter. I know that the Nismo 4door R33 GTR has the 400R kit, but certainly not a drivate from the RB-X??!!

Here is the source:
Autech GT-R 4-door, Nissan Skyline GT-R 4-door
The NISMO Version

So you like the NISMO 400R, but think some more space in the back would be fine? Then how about a NISMO tuned version of the Autech GT-R?

The NISMO 4-door gets the front spoiler, carbon rear wing and 18inch wheels of the NISMO 400R . Additionally, the engine has been improved immensely, with a new turbo, intercooler and changed electronics making for an increase of power to 380hp. Of course, the 400R is quicker than the four-door, over all.

But if the 400R is the ultimate race-car for the street, then the NISMO 4-door is the ultimate sports-sedan, with almost race-car-like dynamics.
Nismo version

Autech version

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Chris,

First, let me say that 95% of the people on this forum don't know, or care, about 4-door GT-Rs, because somehow they feel like a sedan GT-R takes away their manliness (witness the outrage on the R35 section about a possible 4 door R35).

These people don't know, or care, that the very first GT-R was actually a 4 door sedan. So we should all pay homage to that.

Second, I think the website you link to has some misleading information. First, the Autech was based on the standard, non-Vspec car. Second, it's not "just a 1995 GT-R V Spec with 4 doors" because, the car was made after the second minor model change, being sold in 1997/8. Yes, the seats have blue inserts, but you can see the technical changes from the series R33s, most obviously the Xenon headlamps. And yes, it has the shorter front lip spoiler from the Series 1 and 2, but did you know that this shorter lip was an option on the Series 3 as well? And no N1 vents in the front bumper either. So a unique car, really...

Third, I think what that website was saying was that Nismo took an Autech or two and repainted them, had some bodywork and such pieces added, and the installed a boost controller.

So no, you're not a noob. I think Nismo never officially made a 400R version of the R33 Autech, and that the one above is someone's attempt to ponder, "what if...??" (If I'm wrong, I'm open to learning about this...)

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aki for the insight.

Yes it's sad that not many peeps are actually interested in to the Skyline brand. GTR aside, the Skylines are a very interesting line up of cars. Unfortunately the Skyline sedans never pretended to be something they weren't, they were actually very understated and had very similar designs to US-sedans of that time, despite being never targeted for the US. This Autech 4door R33 GTR was probably in 98 one of the best handling sedans of this size in the world, despite being unknown.

Of course I don't take that website for bargain.

My understanding with Autech cars is that all Autech cars (Stagea 260RS, 4 door GTRs ex . . .) have been based firstly on the existing Skyline GT-X, Stagea RS4 models, as the chassis of these cars still have the RB25DET mark and not RB26DETT (even thought the RB26DETT features on the shakken-sho).

The Autech R33 GTR 4door must have been based on the R33 GT-S four 4 door , but got all the GTR interior (non-v-spec) from the minor change post 97. then.
What is strange here is that Nismo apparently upgraded an Autech car!? I only know from the Stagea 260RS that Nismo offered a full kit replacing the special 260RS Autech kit again. But no Engine tune was made available for the 260RS (despie being sold up to 98 as pre-minor change, and must have been available the same time as this Nismo 4door R33GTR)
Here pics of the Nismo Autech 260RS:

Now what is really interesting:
1) Do those Stagea and 4door GTR yellow Nismo cars have one unique tune up package, sold basicly as a howl car or complete upgrade to the base Autech cars ?.(Then there must have been a) a showroom catalogue b) or b) a Nismo option catalogue within the showroom catalogue.

2) Or are the Nismo yellow cars just a composition of the around 98. Nismo catalogue GTR/Autech cars tuning parts?

Also last thought on this: Did the Stagea 260RS and the Autech 4door R33 GTR actually sell in yellow?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
some people do care Aki

accroding to a few books i have there is a stock Auteck 4 door and a yellow 400R 4 door version! This 4 door one is in the 400R page

its all in japanese so there are 2 versions

R

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Rob - well I'd love to read that article, can you scan and send to me?

And to answer a few of Chris' questions:
Autech R33 GT-R was not based on, or converted from an R33 GT-S. It began life on the 2 door GT-R assembly line and thus begins with the GT-R floorpan and the RB26DETT. Hence, the car id number is "BCNR33-XXXXXX"

260RS came standard from the factory with the RB26DETT. But they were converted Stageas.

Looking at the catalog for the 4 door, R33 GT-R, it did NOT come from the factory in yellow. The only colors it came in were midnight purple, white and sonic.

BCNR33 GT-R オーテックバージョン|ウェブカタログ:GT-R|日産GT-Rウェブマガジン GTR-WORLD.net

·
Super Moderator
15,847 Posts
Well I had an R33GTR in yellow...OK I admit it was a respray.:thumbsup:

Personally am also interested, wouldn't mind owning that 4 door yellow one!

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Rob - i need this book of yours! any chance you can tell me which mag/book it is please so i can get a copy?

there's a couple of Autech version's for sale on jap auction sites,however i've only seen two or three go through auction,the other's are on dealer fixed priced area's.

I'd love to have an R33 GTR 4 dr,however,the back end isn't just right,we owned an R33 4dr for 2 days,didn't like the looks and part ex'd it in for an R32 4dr later

i've got some real nice pics of the autech version,i'll post them up later when i get some more time

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
A 4-door GT-R would be a nice car to have.
Do you guys have any specs on the engine & car?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

these two pages are in the middle of the 6 pages on the 400R

somewhere else in the book

The book is called "R33 Skyline GTR best Album"

I will look in the other book tomorrow

Sorry about the res, the website reduces the size

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
thanks for the pics, Rob. I have that book!

I took a quick look this morning - nothing mentioned about the 4 door, other than Nismo had lightly tuned the intake on the engine (ie raised the boost on the turbos). So while it was a Nismo variant of the 4 door R33 GT-R, it was not a 400R engine.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Nissan did some trick little versions sometimes. Like in the GT-R world of Limited editions, the GTS-T also had a few variants. I still haven't seen one, but would dearly like a go in the R33 GTST 280MR. Had a nice special edition 2.8 Reinik lump....nice.:)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
So while it was a Nismo variant of the 4 door R33 GT-R, it was not a 400R engine.
stupid book sticking the 4 door in the middle of the 400R bit

how much do the 4 Door GTR's go for?

R

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
i NEED a copy of that book!!! thanks for the scanned pictures Rob,looks awesome
I have a few all different :)

sold 2 to Kriss as it was on R32s and he had the matching R33/R34 book

Yahoo actions have some for sell

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
IIRC they sell for around £12k or so in Japan,then import fee's are your aware of....
got a spare copy of this book by any chance?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I only purchased one of each :)

the club might import them i think?

If that yellow one was 12k + import I would sell my R33 for it

R

1 - 20 of 33 Posts