GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone Ive not long joined the owners club so I thought I would write something. Ive just imported a 1995 R33 GTR ive been told it should have 4 pot brembo calipers on the front and 2 pot calipers on the back. My car has sliding calipers all round does anyone know if a GTR ever came with sliding calipers. Ive got a japenese service history and it says the car is a gtr and the chassis number is checking out ok.

If anyone can give me any info on this I would be really grateful as its doing my head in and im starting to lose all faith in the car.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi and welcome , post up pics of ur car and lets see.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Unfortunately... all R33 GT-Rs came with Brembos. All calipers are black and clearly marked with the white Brembo logo. People upgrade their brakes all the time, in this case it sounds like maybe someone downgraded to GTST brakes?

Yes, photos would help.

·
R35 Section manager
10,979 Posts
If the car feels like its not going to stop, then they have been downgraded.
My Brembos were good for upto 450bhp road use.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Got any pics of it befor it was imported, sounds like you had a upgraded set replaced with cheap stuff, what was on the spec sheet before purchace !!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
As above, should be Brembos all around. Single piston sliding callipers arent even on GTST's so maybe yours are off a really basic non turbo skyline- not good.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yep, I concur with all that has been said. Hey, I have some R35 brakes for sale LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys I think you are all right I think it had a big brake conversion and the owner took them off to sell it.
The gearbox has had it to so im looking for 1 if anyone has got 1 for sell i would be interested.
Im going to take the car off the road and start again big brake conversion and a engine rebuild im going to get the car right im really fussy when it comes to cars this one is going to be a challenge but you live and learn1

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Don't M3's have sliding calipers? Not always a bad thing, my DC2 has them and they're superb!
Just a thought, although it is strange you have them on a GTR!
;)
bob

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
Don't M3's have sliding calipers? Not always a bad thing, my DC2 has them and they're superb!
Just a thought, although it is strange you have them on a GTR!
;)
bob
Sliding callipers are OK on light cars but don't cut the mustard on heavier cars. I had a brilliant set on my old 205 GTI (with suitable pads and braided hoses). Big German cars often come with sliding callipers and they have to servo them servo heavily to make them work which robs them of any feel. BMW are (or at least were) always complained at for having rubbish brakes.

I think that the R32 GTS had sliding pin callipers. I'm sure I remember reading a thread about upgrading them on here somewhere. Given that the R32 GTR brakes are at best OK anything less than that on the heavier R33 is going to be a worry! Assuming that the master-cylinder is the original one the ratio is probably all to **** anyway!

Front Brembos or better are the way to go, though I think that the rear Brembos and the rear Tokico (ie the R32 GTR rears) are very similar. Ideally all four wheels is 4 pot+ and discs with ally bells would be nice. Wilwood and D2/K-sport do some very affordable kits. If you have deep pockets then Alcon, AP, Stoptech and the like are out there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts