GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys, as title says, my '95 gtr is burning about 2 litres of oil every 1000 miles. about 3500 miles ago it had bottom end rebuild with wiseco? pistons and hks metal headgasket, turbo's also rebuilt and steel internals fitted. running 1 bar boost, any ideas on why it could be burning so much oil?

I have a feeling its because previous owner didnt want the head rebuilt and maybe valve guides are leaking?
It doesnt smoke when running, mates said only a puff of smoke when changing gears

Appreciate all help

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going to do a cylinder compression test and leak test tomorrow, was just looking for some experience specifically on these engines etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
done a compression test today, results were: (in psi)
Cold Hot
cyl 1 155 175
cyl 2 155 174
cyl 3 154 175
cyl 4 156 160
cyl 5 154 176
cyl 6 154 172

Also pulled off breather from intake side and no smoke or puffing coming out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
could well do , if its just a puff off smoke when you change gear and not big clouds wouldnt think it be turbo seals, puff off smoke maybe just a bit off overfueling, what colour is the smoke black or grey? , have you checked for puddles of oil when the car is stationary, or fire it up and let it run see if there is any oil left on the ground, you say it was recently rebuilt, maybe dodgy gasket sump etc leaking oil, id try that first hope that helps, also can you smell burning oil?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its black smoke, can only smell oil when temp of oil is 100-110 degrees (thrashing it)
No oil leaks on engine and no puddles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no just the normal cooler on top of filter car comes with.. was told up to 110 is ok..
mate did smell it a bit as he was behind me

·
Registered
202 Posts
aftermarket oilcooler would help, mine is grex aftermarket cooler, doesnt go above 95 degrees, looking like could be valve stem oil seals, cant think off anywhere else really now, you said car got new bottom end and turbos reconditioned , so only other thing bar an oil leak is them, did you get car from dealer, did you ge twarranty with car?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no bought it privately. may try oil treatment, works well on glazed pistones and valve guides normally..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts