GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im after a bit of advice, im doing the cam belt on my r33 gtr and cant seem to get the crank bolt to undo i tried a number on tools inc air guns etc, i read about using a bar and resting it on the chassis leg and using the starter to undo it but to be honest i dont like the sound of trying that, does anyone have any ideas how to get it off? how tight is it meant to be and its not left hand thread is it?

cheers Ben

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem is i have alot of the fuel stuff off as im doing the inlet gaskets aswell, was just doing the belt while im waiting for the gaskets to turn up, or i see me having to jump the starter as i can get to it easy without the inlet there, it bolt isnt left hand thread is it? i just want to make sure i know most cars a normal thread but there are a few which arnt, cheers Ben

·
Registered
167 Posts
definatly normal thread mate.
I dont know what youve got off exactly, but as long as nothing is shorting out, you could pull the pump fuse out.
I know what you mean about not wanting to do that, but it works.
it deffinatly works, seen it done and done it, was a bit sceptical myself the first time but have to say it was the easiest way of doing it. its literally a bounce of the starter nothing is really turning in the engine. either that or get a longer breaker bar but that still mightn't work

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i tried a long bar with a even longer pipe on it was just bouncing on it with the car in 4th and handbrake on, so i guess ive just got to bite the bullet and do it that way, cheers

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i tried it and still wouldnt move one bit had the bar on the floor so i didnt damage the car and it kept trying to lift the car up at that point i thought i wont do it any more as something might break lol, ive got a 3/4 inch gun coming to me so if that doesnt work dunno what im going to do then,

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thing is i got a high torque gun but due to lack of space i cant get it in, i dont fancy taking the bumper and intercooler off, i guess its just me trying for the easy way around in fact i will have to take the bumper off as i need to change the piping for the intercooler, so i guess im going to have to do it that way

·
Registered
242 Posts
NIssan Junky

I took mine off with a 14 inch bar, car in 4th and BIG chocks on the wheels. believe me, you really need to give it a good hard pull (breaker bar that is...) I didn't want to use the starter method personally :(
if nothing else, it's a good arm workout :) Oh - and it is good to place an old pillow in the area of the battery, as you can impact that area with quite some force!

Good luck

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
ive used swivel joints before on and electric impact gun , non impact type swivel joint and have only ever broke a 1/4 swivel joint with only a 250 lbft gun and had been fine with 3/8 and 1/2 drive but would the impact ones hold up ok for what nissan junky needs ?

like these ?

molybdenum impact swivel joint sockets aircraft tools on eBay (end time 10-Feb-10 15:53:10 GMT)

engineers impact swivel joint sockets aircraft tools on eBay (end time 10-Feb-10 18:27:32 GMT)

for the restricted access with out removing to much stuff .

not sure how much these impact ones can take if standard ones can take 250lbft with ease ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got it off in the end used a 3/4 inch gun, a long bar with a pole on the end just didnt seem to move, i tried a few swivel joints but the thing is with those you lose torque through it, i dunno how much torque the 3/4 gun had but my 420 lbs gun just wouldn't touch it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.