GTR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per tittle I'm trying to figure out if this is the stock LSD that comes with the R33 GTR or it's a uprated version perhaps?

Sorry to ask these dumb questions but I'm new to the Skyline world and I'm trying to figure out what does have my car actually since there is no history available or that I could get since it was imported directly from Japan and no much info was given.

While searching for some info regarding the LSD I found that there is two types:

• Mechanical LSD
  • Viscous LSD

So which is mine? And also what is the main difference for both? Is this some kind of 1 -1.5-2 way LSD? For trackdays and street driving would be best to install a 1.5 way in the front and back? Opinions?:bowdown1:

When I took off the car for the first time, while turning at very little speed (in a tight parking lot) I could hear some "clunks" at the back and was shocked to hear some like "snaping off" from the rear subframe/suspension system. Since the the diff was out for clean and put install back, the car hasn't been driven again because of other thigns being fixed first.

Would be the viscous LSD had a pump to build pressure and lock up the clutch packs (maybe refers to A-LSD from the V-Spec?) and the mechanical LSD, well, it's just plain mechanical. I took is appart to cleand and install back with fresh oil since it had some water inside (car was totaled because of a semi flood)

Also, from what I have seen, my suspension is a type of coilver with fixed height positions on the strut/shock body and the coil spring has a NISMO name on there. WOuld be OK to asume this is a real NISMO "coil over" suspension upgrade or not?

Any info and additional info is very much appreciated.

PS: Sorry, my english not the best

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
That's a stock non-V-Spec mechanical plate type LSD.

The shocks are Bilstein and are height adjustable. If you clean them up you will see a series of grooves - the spring seat sits on a clip that sits in a groove, compress the spring, knock the seat up - move the c-clip to desired position and reseat spring.
Probably just best left where they are though.
Not sure if Nismo sold these or Ennepetal japan (bilstein agent in japan, do a lot of shock kits and are named after the town in Germany where Bistein come from). Might just be a set of Nismo springs that someone fitted.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi lightspeed, thanks for the reply. Yes I notice those grooves on the body shock, hence why I said "coil over" or sort of:chuckle: So perhaps this kit was pieced together by some company or the previous owner using NISMO springs and Bilstein shocks....what I can say is that previous owner in Japan was a NISMO fan I guess the car came pretty much "stock" engine but I found the following NISMO parts installed:

• White face gauge cluster NISMO with 3 meters in the center console
  • Steering wheel NISMO
  • B pillar ornamental carbon fiber NISMO
  • Fully NISMO body kit
  • Supr Copper Twin clutch (the highest power available code) NISMO (coolest find)
  • Complete NISMO exhaust (up pipes, CAT center and catback) stock downpipes though.

That's why I got intrigued by the suspension...didn't know if NISMO was using actually Bilstein as main shock back then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts