GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be looking for a clutch in the very near future and im gonna do it myself but im unsure which one i need Push or Pull type. How do i know by looking at the box from under the car without taking it apart only to have to put it back together again which one my car has.
Its a 1995 GTR non vspec build date is march 1995. Also what clutch would you guys recommend for a car which will be running 400bhp but will be driven daily so would require a non twin plate as the OSGiken STR i had was a pig to use plus the wife hated it so it will need to feel like a stock clutch.

Daz.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
a stock 33 clutch should be ok to take that kind of power + they feel softer. Any twin clutch would give it a heavier feel unless you go for a carbon composite twin clutch which is very very pricy though.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My 1995 R33 GTR used a pull type clutch. I was okay with a standard clutch but destroyed it drag racing, hence I went for a twin plate. For everyday use I'd go for standard in your position too :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was thinking standard too but dont know how i tell wether its a push or pull type clutch

P.S cliff how do you tell which type you need?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I searched on here and everyone came back saying I need a pull type. When I ordered through RHDjapan they confirmed it was a pull type needed for our year of car too :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Just removed the carbon twin-plate Exedy clutch off my 1995 R33. Very easy on the foot and gentle as a lamb. Should be plug and play, if you're interested.

Fitted a triple-plate instead because the above clutch wasn't happy with the tune up to 570 BHP.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
pull clutch the cylinder faces towards the engine i believe all the os gikens are push though which means you would have ahd a convertor fitted

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pull clutch the cylinder faces towards the engine i believe all the os gikens are push though which means you would have ahd a convertor fitted
Just dawned on me that i remember that it had to have a conversion kit so mine must be a pull type then?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
its a pull type as standard yours is now a push type so would need converting back, im not sure if its a case of just removing the mechanism or something more involved, but any r32 clutch will be fine if you dont remove it

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry mate i havent explained myself the twin plate was on my last GTR not this one and it was running a standard one and it had to have a conversion done so it would run the twin plate so the car i have now has a stock clutch so if it had to be converted to push on my last one then the one i have on this current car must be a pull type right?

Been looking at stock clutch' and found an exedy equivalent of the oem nissan one for £290 does this sound about right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Late R32 and all R33 had the pull configuration from factory. Plenty of cars have had this changed depending on clutch kits fitted. Defintely worth a look under the car to verify.

If you stick your head under the car and you can see the clutch slave cylinder bolted to the gearbox BEHIND the clutch fork, toward the rear of the car, then it is the PULL arrangement. As the clutch release bearing is pulled away from the flywheel to disengage the pressure and clutch plates.

I found out the hard way and had to convert my gearbox back to pull setup (it was an R33 I thought they were all the same). So when the clutch I pulled out was an OS Giken twin with a totally different clutch bearing/fork setup. So to fit the Nismo twin I had to swap push bits for pull parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone know are all Nismo Gmax twin clutches push type?

I'm maybe buying one and it was from R33 gtr.. I have GTST gearbox - push type if I'm correct..

Help please..!!: :sadwavey:

Pics:
Pics

regards
Jani

1 - 13 of 13 Posts