GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Just did a little search on Middlehurst ECU's as this is what is meant to be fitted to my R33 GTR (according to the advert on here from when I purchased it).

So I have just removed the ecu and taken the cover off (which has been off before).

Anyway this is what I found.

After reading what I have on here, I assume this is a standard ecu then ?

My car has an apexi avcr set to run at 1bar, along with uprated downpipes, decat, stainless cat back, and apexi filters.

Is this std (if thats what it is) ecu going to cause me problems ?

So that got me thinking, when I bought the car he supplied me with the "Original" standard ecu for the car, which I haven't looked at until now.

So I opened the box that it came in (the avcr box), and had a look.

This is what I found:

Now Im guessing this is a Jap chip conversion, so does anyone have any info on these chips ? and what power there good for, and most importantly, is it safe for me to run my car on this ecu with it's current state of tune.

Thanks in advance for any info.

3,665 Posts
UK 33 GTR,s car had a specific map done for the UK fuel , these ECU where safe to run at 1.0 bar of boost ( very rich but safe)

A std spec import car ( jap spec) in our eyes will be running close to the edge running 1.0 bar on UK fuel 97 octane ( will normally retard the ignition timing 2/3 degress to make safe on UK fuel)

The jap spec (mapped) ecu is prob set up to run 0.8 bar on Jap spec fuel it will have the fuel trimed/ ignition advanced to give good BHP so running a little leaner and closer to the det threshold than a std ecu. Running this ECU at 1.0 is in my mind running over the edge, your def be having trouble with detonation.

rememeber the above ideas are ABBEYS opinon ( may not be everyones else ideas and reasons.)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right car has been rolling roaded today, it made 360bhp and 265lbft on the standard ecu and it made 383bhp with 292.5lbft on the JES chipped ecu.

As for fueling both ecu's are fine throughout the rev range the std ecu makes it run very rich on full boost (1bar) the JES chip still makes it run rich on 1bar but not as rich as the std ecu.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im happy with them, on the std ecu the car was revved to 7300rpm, on the chipped ecu he only went to 7050rpm, id asked him not to rev past 7500rpm, as i've read they don't like it much, but I think on the 2nd run he must have forgot and stopped at 7000rpm.

He said there is loads more power in there and it was pulling really strong :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts