GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. Thought I would have my first go at a project thread so bare with me until I get the swing of things. Owned a r33 gtst few years ago and ever since then I have always wanted a GTR. So a few months ago the time was right and I brought this.

The only things I have done externally are, replaced the fibreglass vented bonnet with an oem alloy bonnet and spent 3 days repairing the cracked and broken splitter and painted it black (it was white)
This was the bonnet that was on it

The bit I disliked about the bonnet was ever time i washed it u filled the engine bay up with water. That's the reason the engine bay is abit tatty

I also removed a lot of messy wiring from inside the car, it had defi heads up display boost gauge in it and apexi rev speed meter fitted really badly so these came straight out

There was lots of holes in the stereo surround were all the wires came out so took that of and repaired and repainted. Can't find no pics of this.

After the first couple of times I used the car I noticed a very small puddle of water on the garage floor so after investigating found to have a leaky rad.
So next step was order a rad.before the new rad landed It sprung another leak :mad: and it was this pipe here

After help from lots of you guys on here I managed to get a new pipe from RB Motorsport.

After a few times of driving I wasn't 100% happy with the mapping of the car as there was a few flat spots when coming on and of boost so made my mind up to have the car mapped but before I do that I wanted to double check that it had the "n1" turbos on it like I was told when brought the car. So dropped the downpipes of to find... Yep you guessed it ceramic turbo wheels :mad:
Now I was stuck. What to do? Do I go single turbo, -5s, -7s. I went round and round in circles for a couple of weeks trying to work out what root to go down, but then I decided it was going to cost to much money and just to leave it as it is. That's when Daz came to the rescue lol. After long discussions with Daz and he explaining to me the basics on rb tunning (as I'm a rb noob) I decided to upgrade my tubs with steel wheels and then a few other supporting mods to go with it. Then a few bits started to turn up

The car already has hks full exhaust, apexi induction, fuel pressure regulator and a Power FC. So ordered steel 1.3mm steel head gasket, steel tub rebuild kit, arp studs, oil gallery restricter, cambelt kit, gasket set, injector seals as I noticed slight residue around one of the injectors, hks inlet and exhausts gaskets from saif, and silicon coolent hoses and breather hoses and oil and filter, fuel filter.

After some parts started to turn up it was time to start stripping her down

Rad out all aux belts and removed turbo pipes

Then as easy as that the tubs were of (yer right) :chuckle: lots of cups of tea and sliced hands

And I thought the tubs were a sod to get of... The inlet was worse I think. Probs be Easyer now I kno were the bolts and pipes are but not looking forward to putting it back together :runaway:

Starting to get a pile of parts now :chuckle:

Let's hope I can remember were they all go

Next step was bottom pulley... I had been putting it of for as long as I can but tbh I think I was really lucky and it came of easy. Just made a little puller up rather than damaging the pulley

Then of it came and took the belt of

So glad im doing it because the tensioner and cambelt pulley bearings are really noisy

Cam covers coming of

Head now of and stripped ready for skimming

Got lots of cleaning of parts

And that's all for tonight guys. Thanks again to Daz for all the helped all the way along! Wouldn't of been able to do it without him, always at the other end of the phone willing to help. Top bloke! :bowdown1: hopefully tomoro I'll get the head back on then it's time to start prepping all the parts ready for painting. Still unsure of colours for cam covers ect so any ideas and help appreciated. The silicon pipes I went for are red. Soz if I've bored u all to death :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Looking good Matt ***128512;If your painting the covers I'd do them in the crinkle black and have red silicone hoses and polished plenum or at least nitromorz it so it's bare alloy

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Great effort, well done, keep up the good work, can't help thinking may of been easier to take the engine out with all that work. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great effort, well done, keep up the good work, can't help thinking may of been easier to take the engine out with all that work. Good luck.:)
Ur right there mate lol :chuckle: if I do any more to it I will be taken the engine out lol. Managed to get the head back on today but forgot to take pics of it on but will upload when I get some :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not to bad mate cus I was lucky everything came apart without snapping. Bout 3 hours I think but if I did it again I would do things slightley diffent and would be quicker

Yeah that sounds okay actually. On my 200sx it took me like 6 hours the first time. Managed to get the time down a lot.
Your project is coming along nicely though! Will be keeping an eye on it

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's smart teetee. I was thinking maybe abit darker but I like that. Have just found out I need a boost controlled to be able to allow my fc to control boost :-( anyone no of any going cheep? If there is such thing?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
You can buy just the solenoid from apexi but I think you need a link cable as well other than that buy an avcr which comes with the solenoid and is much easier to use and actually see too besides it looks better than that daft hand commander

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
A few more pics with abit more progress. Hoping to have it all back together this week :bowdown1:

So after giving the head a good scrub in the cleaning tank I reassembled it and got it back on and torqued up

Next job on the list was spaying all the engine parts, this is how the twin turbo pipe did look

And the scabby rocker cover

So set about removing the badges
Carefully

Started to get them rubbed down

Getting a collection of rubbed down bits now

Thought while I was doing it might aswell does these as they wernt in much better condition

Piles getting bigger

Gave them a quick coat of etch to help the primer stick to the alloy

Few good coats of primer

Then I gave them a wet flat and got them ready for top coat

This is what they came out like

Not 100% sure about the colour yet but shall see what it looks like when back together. Worse case I'll take it of a spray it black lol.
I've just gotta rub the rb26 but down then there ready.

Started to get the inlet on

All bolted up
And I fitted all new injector seals while it was apart

While it was apart thought it would be rude not to give the bay abit of a scrub
Started like this

After abit of elbow grease

Forgot to take a picture of it all done. Never mind it's better than it was lol.

So then it was back on the phone to Daz who talked me through stripping the turbos

All stripped down and send the shafts and wheels of for balancing and they should be back with me tomoro so all being well Thursday Friday should see some finished pictures :) then will be time to fit boost controller and have it mapped.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks mate. No mate didn't touch the head apart from clean. I'm trying to keep myself on the straight and narrow other wise it will be a endless tunnel lol. I'm trying to keep power figures for a reliable standard internal engine. I had already told myself no to some tomi b cams lol

1 - 20 of 62 Posts