1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is running 1 bar boost ,

Link ecu
Usual stage one mods

Have swapped coil packs, coil pack amplifier, plugs were changed only couple.months ago.

Runs sweet till around 6000 rpm, then hesitates and splutters a bit, any ideas what else to try

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the link ecu would delete the afm ?

Head gasket ?never heard that before

Anything else it could be

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
My last gtr had an erratic idle that disappeared once driving but came back with a vengeance at around 4000rpm, like major shuffle but as I could still feel that also it meant it was unrelated. I changed the gaskets and afms and the issue went away. Not sure which one worked through. I had both sitting around so used them

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't worry yourself about the head gasket too much, give the engine some basic health checks, take a look at the colour of the plugs(light grey deposits), these give you an idea on how the car is running. Check the oil filler cap for any mayonnaise, and give the expansion cap a good sniff for any petrol or exhaust like smells, as this is a dead give-away of a dead head gasket. If there is still doubt then a sniff test, leak-down and compression are the next steps, and only then condemn the head-gasket....
You need to find out which type of Link ECU you have, as it could be a plug and play type that uses the existing AFM's, and if it is, check the AFM outputs. If the car has the MAP sensor type then check the pipe-work for any leaks to the map sensor, as this will cause leaks on boost and lead to inaccurate readings and possibly engine damage from detonation due to incorrect(lean) air/fuel ratio. Get someone who is knows Link and get a laptop plugged in to see what is happening before spending any more cash.

·
Registered
242 Posts
coil looms are old (i 've replaced mine, but thats another story),also i've had problems with voltage drop on both my ecs blue relays in N/S/F foot well, replaced them both with new after breaking down in the end, now the cars stronger than ever. :) these cars are getting old now....

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't worry yourself about the head gasket too much, give the engine some basic health checks, take a look at the colour of the plugs(light grey deposits), these give you an idea on how the car is running. Check the oil filler cap for any mayonnaise, and give the expansion cap a good sniff for any petrol or exhaust like smells, as this is a dead give-away of a dead head gasket. If there is still doubt then a sniff test, leak-down and compression are the next steps, and only then condemn the head-gasket....
You need to find out which type of Link ECU you have, as it could be a plug and play type that uses the existing AFM's, and if it is, check the AFM outputs. If the car has the MAP sensor type then check the pipe-work for any leaks to the map sensor, as this will cause leaks on boost and lead to inaccurate readings and possibly engine damage from detonation due to incorrect(lean) air/fuel ratio. Get someone who is knows Link and get a laptop plugged in to see what is happening before spending any more cash.

Car has been compression and leak down tested all ok..

I think the boost controller was disconnected and refitted and this may be possibly related to that .....

Will check the spark plugs also

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's always the same on this cars,

main problems:
-coilpacks
-spark plugs
-AFMs
-cam angle sensor

sometimes also a problem:
-coilpack harness
-coilpack amplifier
-fuel pump
-bad mapping

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure I had the same problem and it ended up being a leak in the exhaust or downpie , just remembered now , will do some more checks and see how it goes

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right one of the boost pipes had a small split ,this has been replaced and the car is running a lot crisper , now with the car running normal, however when you turn boost up still misfire at around 6000rpm.

Changed the plugs from another car which is running fine , and the car runs worse and misfires!!!

Think I'm gonna change spark plugs with new ones to see if that helps if not it's going to mgt.

Also may put a stock ecu back in case it's related to that ?

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
to be honest the plugs I took out of another car just for testing, this car was running perfect. however when I put these in the car with the problem, the misfire and hesitation was a lot worse.

could be a number of things, been changing a few bits with no luck.

im going to get some new plugs tomorrow , and also test with a stock ecu in case its a problem with that.

failing that im gonna sent it to mgt or somewhere for them to deal with it and just get the job done

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Don't rule out
02 sensors
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
water temp sensor ( the one in the intake manifold )
And check the ecu plug is fitted in correctly

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't rule out
02 sensors
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
water temp sensor ( the one in the intake manifold )
And check the ecu plug is fitted in correctly

Exactly , New spark.plugs will be the last thing that I do, fuel filter has been changed already , maybe best to get mgt to check it out if not

1 - 20 of 22 Posts