GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all after a few opinions/experience I've had my 33gtr since february time which i found advertised on here, it seemed to tick all the rite boxes when i brought it, extensive history one owner etc. However it has seemed to be a money pit in the very brief period of owning it, I only use it every other weekend and that is minimal driving. Iv had the gearbox fail, wiring faults, hicas fault (present) and then yesterday an even more worrying overheating issue. I was planning a track day this month which is now on hold until I rectify this. What happened was driving home yesterday (a trip of 20miles) at road speeds average 50-60 noticed oil temp was a little higher than usual, then coolant temp shot sky high, luckily was 2 minutes from home, limped it back slowly with heaters on full (that was not pleasant) and found a coolant leak from o/s back of the head above the starter. Once cool enough to investigate i attempted find the cause but nothing to see, topped rad back up ran to temp no leak!!! Took it back up the road no leak, changed the coolant this morning, flushed the system nothing obscene from bottom hoses, took it back on the road steady drive for 10 minutes, fine, turned it up gave it hard drive, got home everything perfect!! Now to me, this is a bit strange, fan working fine no signs of loose clips, no signs of split hoses, damaged pipe work, nothing. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Great how it all works i just fitted brand new wheels friday, am not impressed!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, kieren

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like you've just had bad luck dude. I got my in february, use it daily (300 miles per weeK) and I've had minimal problems. Swapped aux belts, leaky boot & a couple of brake issues. I guess it depends how long it's been in the UK and what kind of driving it has been subjected to in the past.

·
Registered
871 Posts
All GTR's are money pits whether it's modifying or fixing :D

Could the leak be turbo side? The standard pipes are liable to perish if touched. (Replacing mine this week due to a leak...)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had a slow leak above the starter that ended up being one of the coolant lines giving out due to age. Removing the starter was the most difficult part of the job.

And it's a mid 90's car...they're getting on in their years. They need some TLC.

Get a coolant pressure tester and test the system. Mine wasn't a major leak but would have caused me major issues had it not been resolved and the car needed a tow or such.

Best of luck,
Cory

Cory

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the leak is/was definately intake side above starter as one of you have had, ill take it back to work and pressure test and most likely get some new coolant lines.
i know the issue with the starter bolts not nice.
it will take alot to make me part with it always wanted one i just moan when get problems being a mechanic the last one i ever want to is my own!

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Any particular type of vehicle can be a beauty or a dog. It's partly the luck of the draw whether the vehicle is mass produced shite or a thoroughbred.

Bad servicing or ill-conceived modifications are obviously the cause of many problems.

My Skyline has been totally reliable on the road and track, in the UK and overseas, and servicing expenditure has been little different to any other car I've owned. Probably luck.

Sometimes I think cars would be more reliable and less scuffed if they never went to a garage for servicing, but that is contentious, isn't it.:chuckle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts