GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a few questions over the summer how to remove some parts off the skyline to repaint it and have been slacking on the pictures. Well to start out I have a 95 R33 gtr that was stock paint KLO. It didnt look that bad for that year but i ran out of projects and was feeling adventurous. So I decided on painting it 09 gtr gunmetal code KAD with a custom blue pearl mid coat. I dont have a paint booth. I just have a home made ventillation system to keep air moving and i kept the floor wet during the process. The paint job came out pretty good after buffing but will always take pointers to try and improve. here are some pics through the process.

Here the gtr is stock paint

taking it all apart

sanded and all taped off

car and parts primered

3 coats of our base KAD

shot a bunch of test strips on the old centerblade withthe blue pearl to see what affect i wanted. the pearl really changed the gunmetal to a blue if a good spray was given. So decided to give a dusting of blue pearl to not change the color too much.

then we got 4 coats of clear on the whole car

wet sanded everything up to 2500

then went through 3M 4 step buffing process and got it all back together

pulled it outside for its first pics

I really like the color. Depending on how bright it is outside it gets really dark like in that last pic or lighter gunmetal like the others. Didint get the desired pearl effect like i wanted but sill get a blue hue to it depending on the lighting.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Nice work...looks like it came out real good....top colour choice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a set of the xenon HID headlights in the meantime. The came in and put them in right away. Had to do a little trimming with the clip to fit the plugs but was pretty easy and what a difference they make on the front of the car. I always wanted a set of those lights but didnt think they would look that good.

well now I have to wait 6 weeks for more parts to come from japan.....so excited!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for the comments. yes the doors actually do match. i guess since it was just a dusting with the pearl it stayed uniform throughout the car.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Some seriously impressive skills there... wish I had the ability to do similar heh :) Great result too must be said, love how its a subtle change but looks so much better for it imo

·
Registered
779 Posts
Xenon HID's on a 33 are a must. Just trasform the car. Love the colour too, brilliant choice. Agree with Japfreak, S3 splitter would also look very good

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Wow what a great job! Very nice work. :bowdown1:
The lights do look great, they take years off the 33 (and I mean that in a good way - the 33 is my favourite).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also got 2 parts hand made from mines.... carbon radiator shroud and the front pipe pro titanium.

now just have to wait for the titanium decat and catback exhaust from tomei to be made.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boy have I been slacking on here with updates on my gtr. Going to catch my thread up to where my car stands here over the next day.
The tomei titanium catback came in along with the ti decat.

Got everything hooked up and let me tell you what a difference in sound this full titanium exhaust sounds. Everyone said how big of a difference that mines downpipe makes in exhaust note and I thought how crazy could it be. It is a little loud but I absolutely love the sound of the car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After I finished with the exhaust this is how my interior looked. Veilside steering wheel, pedals and shift knob. Had the dual din Head unit and relocated the climate controls to the center console.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Over this past winter I then decided to change the cockpit up a little bit. I had a set of Veilside carbon fiber reclinable seats sitting on the side with the intent to use on my first project car. But I can't count how many years it is now that I have had them just sitting so I decided they would be put to better use with my theme on the skyline. Took a little while to find the proper seat bracket to mount everything up but once I did they weren't bad to install.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At this point all I really needed to change was that Ratty old shifter boot and E brake handle boot but I always liked the look of the carbon fiber interior trim pieces...... The problem was most of the time it's just a crappy sticker laminate of carbon fiber. after some research I actually found full carbon fiber replacement interior trim pieces from a vendor on this site. I had to buy them immediately. LOL

Everything all installed

Really changed the look of the interior with the carbon trim and the seats.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts