GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. I have a gtr which is mildly tuned. mods include uprated injectors, uprated camshaft, remapped & rev lim removed. I am just worried
that if my car spits a flame infront of a police officer he will pull me over
and confront me. I live in staffordshire and the police are not heavy handed
but it just scares me. Please could you tell me if spitting a flame is legal or illegal and should i be worried. I would like to hear from guinuine people
who have these mods in their own gtr. Thank you

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
They only generally spit flames if you've got a rich map and are giving it loads of beans. Although mine used to pop and bang all the time so just had to be conservative so as not to attract attention.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
My Volvo used to after burn excess fuel, as did my GTS-t Skyline, but I never had any hassle. For most turbo cars to do this you need to be on the throttle long and hard with a full, long lift afterwards, which is not something I'd be doing on the road often, anyway. I am not really sure what offence they'd use against you anyway, unless they wanted an emissions report. Flame blowing turbo cars rarely pass legitimate emissions tests.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My Volvo used to after burn excess fuel, as did my GTS-t Skyline, but I never had any hassle. For most turbo cars to do this you need to be on the throttle long and hard with a full, long lift afterwards, which is not something I'd be doing on the road often, anyway. I am not really sure what offence they'd use against you anyway, unless they wanted an emissions report. Flame blowing turbo cars rarely pass legitimate emissions tests.
Unless you have a R32 and therefore are not legally require to have a CAT, in which case you can pass "the" emission test. :)

I wouldn't worry about it as you need to get the turbo quite hot to get the excess fuel to burn... so if a police see you flaming, you probably need to worry about the speed limit more than the flame. :nervous:

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Usually happens more on cars with cat replacement pipe. If your's has a standard catalyst, say - then it's unlikely you'll have a lot of unburnt fuel in a hot exhaust to ignite as it reaches the tail.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If caught you'll most likely walk away with a Section 59. I know a couple of guys who used to have flamer kits and they both ended up with S59's. Means that if the cops catch you doing it again they have the right to impound/crush your car.

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If caught you'll most likely walk away with a Section 59. I know a couple of guys who used to have flamer kits and they both ended up with S59's. Means that if the cops catch you doing it again they have the right to impound/crush your car.
do you think i should put the standard injectors back in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it. Unless you are doing something else to attract their attention the police are unlikely to bother. Like has already been said, if you are driving hard enough to make 'big' flames you have more to worry about if you meet a police car:chairshot. Mine pops and gurgles all the time and its not been a problem (touch wood):nervous:.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Unless you are running very hot, it will just be a cloud of black smoke; so most cops won't even raise an eye brow at that....

It isn't like every time you lift off at the traffic light you will get a big shot of flame. :)

And it doesn't have anything to do with your injector, it is to do with the map in the ECU.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts