GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on most cars you change the timing belt around 55/60,000 miles. My skyline
has done 12,000 miles on its new timing belt so when should i change
this. Is it also better to purchase the hks upgraded belt.
Please let me know. Cheers

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
the skyline is the same 60,000

i think the uprated belt really depends on what youve had done to your car, i.e cams etc you would be better off with one but standard i would stick to the standard one

·
Registered
140 Posts
I look at it like this -
The 60000 mile recomendation is made based on a standard car being used for normal use. If you uprate the car or use on track or both everything is put under extra stress to an extent. For this reason I tend to shorten the time between changing service items and uprate them depending on how modified the car is and how hard it is used.
Also when I buy a car, unless I can be 110 percent sure that the milage is right (eg you own it from new) I personaly change items as critical as a cam belt just to be sure.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Change it unless you have owned it from new? It’s definitively worth changing just in case of a failure. Also depends if you have modified the car as said before.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Change it unless you have owned it from new?
I didnt mean that literaly. I just mean if you have bought a low mileage car be very sure the mileage is correct before deciding not to change the belt on the strength of it. A lot of people would be supprised just how good a car can look having done 70000 miles plus if it has been well cared for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts