GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I hope this isn't a repost, spent the past few hours reading the GTR FAQ and searching through various old threads. Basically hoping to purchase an R33 around March-May time, will have around 12k to spend and I'm interested to hear from some owners what sort of Skyline they think that could buy me.

There seems to be a big range in the prices anything from 6k to 20k+. Ideally after a very very clean midnight purple example - no rust, original paint and interior etc. Few modifications would be nice but I'd be more than happy with a really clean standardish car, any thoughts on whether this is within my budget or do I need to keep saving :bawling:

Thanks

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
In today's market £12k should be plenty. Be prepared to look at quite a few to find the right one (MP is rare too).

·
Registered
998 Posts
£12 WILL BUY YOU MINE hahaha

In all seriousness, 12k will buy you a very clean example. IMO MP is the best colour for a skyline too.

Nice to know youve done the searches and read up on what to look out for. What are you selling to get your skyline?? You already in the jap scene??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the replies guys, nice to hear I should be able to get the car I want within my budget! Most of the cars that caught my eye lately were all in around 15-18k but then most of them were 600/700bhp etc, hopefully an equally clean lesser modified one will be a brave bit cheaper.

Had a few jap (well Honda) cars in the past - Vti Civic/2 Civic Type Rs/Accord Type R/Integra Type R, never any Nissans but I've wanted a GTR for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Be prepared to be SHOCKED... Honda price and GTR price (note I didn't say Nissan, but GTR) are shockingly different.

But for 12K, you can pick up a very nice R33 GTR.
You probably want a less tuned GTR for better drivability and reliability anyways.

But be prepare to search around for one, and always try to get a GTR off the forum with a UK history.
Very often a new import will be sold "relatively" cheap, just for it to blow its engine 2-3 months down the line.

Pick one that have been loved and care for in the UK (and chances are vast amount of money thrown at it), and you will be on to a winner. :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My R33 GTR will be coming up for sale soon. Just got to finish replacing the turbos. :thumbsup:

Yes, 12k will see you a good example. Good luck finding one with original paint. I have just had mine professionally done all over, door shuts as well, we found that it had been painted before hand...

Don't be miss-led by shiny bits in the engine bay and expensive wheels. If you don't know a whole lot about GTRs yet - go for as standard one as possible otherwise you risk mechanical failure of some sort. Either that or be prepared to learn as much as possible about them first before buying and be happy with the mods the one you buy has on it.

It's also worth remembering that the higher tuned, the more fuel you'll be using, the more expensive replacement parts are etc.

Sounds silly I know, but trust me, when it's costing you £££ just to go to the shops, it can be a little painful on the wallet.

Most people who have owned GTRs in various states of tune have had all manner of things go wrong during ownership, from minor things to major. If someone is telling you they haven't had any problems, they are either very lucky, aren't telling the truth or never drive it.

Happy hunting dude, and give me a PM if you want anymore advice or want to find out more about mine (cheeky I know).

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Not wanting to upset anyone, but with respect, £12k for a mildly modified/standard car is way too much, unless it is perfect and rare as hen's teeth!

There is a recession and apart from foolhardy enthusiasts who can't come to terms with selling their pride and joy and hold on forever, there are plenty good GTR's available for less than £12k.

I would agree, stay away form high BHP, but you don't need a standard car - just one with lots of history and a well known tuner to have done all (or most) of the work.

if you look at advert history, most good GTR's are going sub £10k, unless highly modified. Pick the right time of the year - not many for sale at the moment - and get advice from here.

I sold mine in August for £8k and while it had slightly higher mileage than some (about 70k) it was stage 1 modified only, owned for 6 years, tuned by RB Motorsport, Vspec, midnight purple, leather interior, respray and rust spots on suspecnsion turrets had been fixed. Other at that time were asking over £10k and telling me I was selling too cheap. 2 months later, most "changed their minds and decided not to sell their pride and joy" - read into that what you will.

It's a buyer's market I'm afraid, so use it to your advantage.;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not wanting to upset anyone, but with respect, £12k for a mildly modified/standard car is way too much, unless it is perfect and rare as hen's teeth!

There is a recession and apart from foolhardy enthusiasts who can't come to terms with selling their pride and joy and hold on forever, there are plenty good GTR's available for less than £12k.

I would agree, stay away form high BHP, but you don't need a standard car - just one with lots of history and a well known tuner to have done all (or most) of the work.

if you look at advert history, most good GTR's are going sub £10k, unless highly modified. Pick the right time of the year - not many for sale at the moment - and get advice from here.

I sold mine in August for £8k and while it had slightly higher mileage than some (about 70k) it was stage 1 modified only, owned for 6 years, tuned by RB Motorsport, Vspec, midnight purple, leather interior, respray and rust spots on suspecnsion turrets had been fixed. Other at that time were asking over £10k and telling me I was selling too cheap. 2 months later, most "changed their minds and decided not to sell their pride and joy" - read into that what you will.

It's a buyer's market I'm afraid, so use it to your advantage.;)
Quite agree with IMS, I bought mine over a year ago with 80K on it for just over £8k with HKS exhaust & induction kit. I have fitted a Power FC and a decat pipe for about £1.5k and now have a very driveable stage 1 with about 400BHP and 95k miles on it (good for another 95!).
If you will have £12k to spend buy in the £8-10k range which will give you some spare cash for any repairs that might be needed or some upgrades.

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
for 33s now (really low milage smart ones, with 450bhp -500) imported on the road your looking at £11k ish

R32s hold their money far more than 33s in japan at the moment

just cant seem to keep up with demand !....well almost ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts