GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am planning to acquire some new alloys shortly, I just wanted to get an idea of how much a set of R33 GTR alloys generally go for on the open market. Obviously a lot can depend on condition but I wouldn't mind knowing for my own reference.

Needless to say, I wouldn't be selling mine until after I'd acquired the replacement set - but it doesn't hurt to find out beforehand :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do you mind me asking which alloys you are going for. I am also thinking of changing the standard alloys, but it seems like the choice is very limited.

thanks

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R34 ones :)

I like the look of them and they'd suit the colour of my car beautifully. Presumably also there wont be any offset, recalibration, etc issues and - Im hoping/guessing they'll effectively just be a straight swap (although apparently you need R34 nuts for some reason).

Kahn RS-R's would also look nice on a Skyline - but again I don't know if they do them in the right offset (I dont even know what the offset is... my Kingdom for a UK manual.. :()

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Scott.

Incidentally, seeing as the standard R33 GT-R tyres are 245/45 ZR17 and the R34's are 245/40 ZR18 - would putting R34 wheels on a R33 changing the rolling radius? (ergo: require speedo/ECU (?) recalibration)...

..or am I just being stupid? :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent, thanks :)

I've already done a mockup of what it might look like, although in the mockup the wheels look more like 19" than 18" :D

...and you're right, it would look very nice on a blue car. :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris,

It's actually supposed to be like that at the moment, the default server config disallows directory listing but seeing as I haven't had chance to make a site yet I just thought I'd leave it browsable.

davewilkins: that Astra was indeed my previous car. Quite a big step up to a Skyline really!

·
Registered
212 Posts
wheels for GTR's

Durzel,
the problem with the GTR is that it uses a low offset (the measurement from the flange on the backside of the wheel where it contacts the hub, and its distance from the centre-line of the wheel,measured in mm), whereas most other modern Euro and Japanese vehicles use high offset stuff. That combined with a required width of 9 inches or more means there is almost nothing in Europe for the car. The only solution is to use good quality bolt on wheel spacers with theit own studs, and combine them with a higher offset wheel. For example, I broke a 33 recently with just that - it had 8.5x18 BBS RC brilliant wheels in offset 40mm together with the spacers (I happen to still have both). Personally, having been engaged in selling wheels for many years, I found it highly frustrating to be left with less than no choice on wheels,when I came to do the job on my own car. Even the single piece stuff in Japan is highly priced because its either forged or magnesium. The BNR34 wheels are lovely, but they are about £700 each from Nissan. Keith Cowie fitted a set on his last 33, and Ronnie (Glens friend has a set on his car) Both used the spacers to fill the arches (Please correct me if I am wrong anyone), and I am fairly sure Ronnie has 265/35/18's on his (similar rolling radius to stock)so you are going down the correct, albeit expensive road. Just remember to mind those kerbs
Tim

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Tim. :cool:

So in a nutshell I would probably need spacers to put a set of R34 wheels on my R33? What would be the effect of not using spacers? Would it simply be the case that the wheels wouldn't "stick out" as much or would I be risking damage from just taking the R33 wheels off and sticking the R34 ones on (assuming the standard tyre size of 245/40/Z18).

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Ronnie

Hi Tim and yeah you are right Ronnie has them on his 33 and they look gorgeous. Has got the spacers as well.

Go on Durzel they look the nuts especially when lowered every so slightly. Your pics good by the way. Clever sod :D .

I think Abbeys have got a set. Don't know how much though.

glen

·
Registered
212 Posts
wheels

Durzel
As far as I can see they will bolt straight onto the 33 without spacers, as the 34 has the same brakes albeit with gold paint. The spacers just improve the 'stance' of the car. Some would argue even the 34 suffers the same predicament, I think Guy has spacered his 34 wheels on his 34 to achieve that also.
Oh by the way, if you happen to find more than one
cheap set of 34 wheels in your travels, would you let me know as I rather like them too !
Tim

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hey Durzel!!

Do you work in Trowbridge? A collegue of mine said he see's your car there... He tells me it's immaculate, and I was stupid for not buying it from Guy!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I work in Trowbridge and yes, that is my car/Guy's ex-R33. :)

I won't be at the upcoming dyno day (on Saturday I believe?) due to some other commitments but I hope to meet up with everyone sometime in the near future :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Spacer Question

A couple of quick questions for those using wheel spacers - how big are the spacers, and do they affect the caster, making tramlining worse?

Phil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts