GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had fuel pump issues from a recent tune. I have replaced the stock fuel pump with a walbro one. I've also recharged the battery and installed correctly. Car electronics work. Car when key turned is kinda trying to start to poorly. There's no real cranking going on.

Fuel pressure Greddy gauge shows 3.0 (zero when you turn the key, which I think is just because the cars turning on and off etc).

FC Commander reads battery at 12.2v and 9v when turning the key.

I've got a quarter tank of vpower in and is mapped for that.

Plugs were checked other day and are correctly installed.

Splitfire coil packs are in and are newish.

I've tried taking out the pump relay fuse but doesnt crank to get rid of flooding, so I have put this back in.

Thoughts please?

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Bad earthing is normally associated with poor cranking speed if the battery is fully charged. It's going to be highlighted by the recent cold spells as well. Get your engine to spin at the right speed before looking for fuelling issues. Check all your earth conns, battery, bodywork, starter, solenoid. Clean, Vaseline and re-tighten. Provided the battery is in good conditon and holding charge you should be ok.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an apexi power fc and commander. Could this be a case that from taking off the battery over night to charge that it has done something to the settings? Would the apexi boost controller setting turn back on? I use a gizzmo one so would need the apexi to be set to off to start, but I don't know the symbol in Japanese for off :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not the apexi boost setting. No errors from sensors either. I've checked wiring.

It's weird. It started first time after installing pump. Then after 10 mins just died but power stayed on. Now won't restart. AA is on route but doubt that they can sort. It's either too low on fuel but thought that walbro would work on a quarter. Or the battery is not good enough fir the car. The car was also rebuilt in April 2009 and tuned a week or so ago which left me needing a new fuel pump so should be ok.

There was however a black ground cable lose. This is ground to the chassis so should be fine.

I've wired the pump walbro red to car black/red and then walbro black to car black. I've ran it off the battery and have fuel pressure.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AA guys been he says,

Fuel Pump priming and running ok.
No injector switching / no power to ignition coils.
ECU powering other engine sensors air flow etc.
All fuses ok.

He's recommended that I replace the CAS sensor.

Battery is good and charged.

When I turn ignition its not really turning over its that grinding eh ehe ehehehe heheehh noise but no physical crank.

Advice on CAS sensor as I'm stuck in Scarborough and cant get to work :(

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Process of elimination. Guy said that if the sensor doesnt send the signal to the ecu then the ecu (which controls injectors and fuelling) wont come in.

So replacement sensor should restore the signal and get the ignition and fuelling to fire. Part comes tomorrow but will be weekend when I get a chance to fit it.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
dude trust me and fit some new earth leads!! i had a similar problem,re-con'd starter motor,just everything i could,added 2 new earth leads and it started first time!! and it only cost me £12 for 3 earth leads from halfords,only used two though mind

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
?

dude trust me and fit some new earth leads!! i had a similar problem,re-con'd starter motor,just everything i could,added 2 new earth leads and it started first time!! and it only cost me £12 for 3 earth leads from halfords,only used two though mind
Which wires do I need and where do I install them :p me and electronics know nothing of one another :)

I will go do this now :p

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
check the earth in the boot for the battery both end,
theres and earth on the o/s side of the engine near the engine mount, it goes from the block to the chassis, this is usually a favourite, also check the positive lead where it connects in the fuse box, o/s/f inner wing. all favourites. remove them all clean them up with some emery cloth, refit and try again. bernie

·
Registered
749 Posts
check the earth in the boot for the battery both end,
theres and earth on the o/s side of the engine near the engine mount, it goes from the block to the chassis, this is usually a favourite, also check the positive lead where it connects in the fuse box, o/s/f inner wing. all favourites. remove them all clean them up with some emery cloth, refit and try again. bernie
What he said. had a same problem and it was the earth on the drivers side-just under the fuse box

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm checking the earths on Saturday. Checking plugs and could packs. Checking grounds and putting in a fresh battery.

In terms of grounding am I removing the negative lead in the boot, removing the one in the engine bay by the o/s strut and cleaning them up?

Is it worth buying a grounding kit like in my previous link? Or do o just need to run better quality earth cable from ignition to the frame, ground plenum to frame as well?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys, sorry was at a Rich Hall gig last night in Durham and just got back online now

CAS unit arrived.

Plan of action for Saturday
Charge battery as its only 6month old fully as I have only given it a 6 hour boost. so battery is now fully charged and is in good condition as I've used the snap on battery tester and charger.

check coils and plugs

try and start.

Then clean the ground leads and replace with larger and more or a grounding kit. (advice on this please would be awesome).

Try to start.

Fit replacement CAS (as the engine is getting no fuel but the pump is pumping to the fuel filter so CAS must not be sending signal so ECU doesnt fire ignition etc.)

If no start, new battery big bosch bugger on there.

If no start, back to a VR6.

I agree that this sounds to me like a battery issue as its just been tuned and was only let down by the pump but thats the order for the day and hopefully make it the tunnel run :p

Does this sound like a good plan of action, tips and advice happily received :p

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
one thing you can try easily,grab an extra pair of jump leads,and ground one of the leads from the body to the engine somewhere,this will then show if you have an earth problem as the engine would then try to crank over,that's how i found out i had an earth problem

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will try that mate on Saturday :p I work away so I've had to leave the car behind, but working on it saturday so I will be on here posting whilst I do it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts