GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible? To convert from a GTS-T to just a GTS

Also, Hi all I'm new here and didn't really know where to post to introduce my self :p

I'm 19 name's Ross and a Student in Dundee... can't drive so I suppose It's kind of moot... But I love love cars and always have loved Skylines! It's my dream car !

But since I'll need to learn to drive first and build up no-claims it'll be a while yet :)

so anyway... GTS-T to GTS possible and how easy? It's cus I was looking at the R33 GTS 2.0 as a possible first car when i'm 23 odds but a) I don't know what the insurance group is and b) Only ones I can see for sale are GTSTs

Info appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
ALL Skylines are group 20 for insurance.

Secondly, why not buy a GTS RATHER than rip the heart (and waste £££) out of a healthy GTST?

Random.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I mentioned in the post, all the (decent) ones that I could find turned out to be GTSTs, that was why I was talking about turbo conversion (or deconvert as it seems)

Damn :(

Are there any other quick (easy to mod) cars that would be good as a first to build up no claims? And no not a saxo please...

I was thinking more like an ek9 civic/starlet maybe?

Any input welcome :)

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
As I mentioned in the post, all the (decent) ones that I could find turned out to be GTSTs, that was why I was talking about turbo conversion (or deconvert as it seems)

Damn :(

Are there any other quick (easy to mod) cars that would be good as a first to build up no claims? And no not a saxo please...

I was thinking more like an ek9 civic/starlet maybe?

Any input welcome :)
What you want I would suggest is a car with reasonable insurance to run for a year or two to build up no claims.

How practical a car do you want? If you can live with the short-comings then an MX5 would be worth a look. Insurance is reasonable (though you'll need to get some quotes before putting your hand in your pocket).

To keep insurance low I'd go with a UK car - remember it's just a stepping stone to what you want to get.

If you need something more practical then a Civic is a good car. I'd also look at the Sunny or Almera (both in GTI form). Insurance might be a problem (no worse than the Starlet I'll guess) but both are good solid cars which can be picked up for virtually nothing. If you want practical and RWD then have a look at an S13 200SX (UK car with CA18DET). They are quite a low insurance group and again pretty cheap to buy and then sell on.

NB converting a GTS-T to GTS would be rubbish.Even assuming you could remove the turbo and replace the ecu etc I'll bet that the GTS-T runs lower compression than the GTS which means it'll be crap without the turbo. It'll also be a modified car which will attract a premium.

I would suggest running a couple of option through an on-line insurance calculator thing to get an idea of costs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

I've never looked at a sunny or an almera, but the MX5 and the S13 is a good shout.

And yeah I was just looking for something to build up no claims until I can afford something better or a more powerful model

Also thanks for the input on the deconvert, that's just what I was looking for :D

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts