GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi this is my first post on here so hi everyone :sadwavey:

ive just got a r33 gts and want to know where too start tunning :bowdown1: ive all ready got hks induction kit , hks super drager cat-back zorst and blitz bov
so what do i need to do next to get some more power out my car ? is there any must do mods first ? can i up the boost etc or do i need to get a new fuel pump first or will it handle say 1 bar ok ? would a de cat be next ?

thanks

ben :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
1st mod would be to replace the hks induction kit with something of some use, maybes a blitz sus, then de-cat it, add a front pipe, boost controller and get the ecu remapped, if you feel confident enough adjust the boost yourself or go to a good garage to get it all setup properly.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Agree with Chris, get down pipes and decat. Probably worth fitting a bost controller but if it's standard turbos not sure 1 bar is the way to go, up to you. Whatever you do, get it mapped properly to make sure the fuelling is correct.

Come along to the National Skyline Meet and meet some fellow owners and talk to them about their experiences. :)

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
chrisskyline said:
1st mod would be to replace the hks induction kit with something of some use, maybes a blitz sus, then de-cat it, add a front pipe, boost controller and get the ecu remapped, if you feel confident enough adjust the boost yourself or go to a good garage to get it all setup properly.
why? whats wrong with the hks induction? was under the impression they were the better ones available.

Get the fuelling right, but its pretty simple with gtst's, as i found out, change the turbo for one you can run more boost. thats the best way to break the 300 barrier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how do i sort the fueling ? do i need to swop the pump ? what else can i do ? i was thinking of de-cat then front pipe and when i have the spare money swop to a front mount cooler but that will be later ,
so is the standard wastegate abit crap on the gts ??

thanks for your replys !

·
Registered
11 Posts
de-cat is a must. its fairly cheap and easy to do and does wonders for the exhaust note. hks make alot of good kit but i'd steer clear of their induction kits. as its a gts you'll also need roll cage for when its raining

·
Registered
276 Posts
300atf is fairly easy to attain. Induction filter, front mount intercooler, downpipe, decat, catback exhaust. Fuel pump, iridium plugs, boost controller set no higher than .85 bar
and probably a new clutch.

You MAY need to change the coil packs to splitfires, MAY need an safc2 to trim the fueling a little. Standard re-circ valve and wastegate is fine for that level of tune.

Any higher boost pressure on the standard turbo and you risk the exhaust wheel coming off.

But those mods got mine to 320atf and a very nice daily driver.
Any more than that (power wise) your going to be spending lots of money.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Gambit said:
300atf is fairly easy to attain. Induction filter, front mount intercooler, downpipe, decat, catback exhaust. Fuel pump, iridium plugs, boost controller set no higher than .85 bar
and probably a new clutch.

You MAY need to change the coil packs to splitfires, MAY need an safc2 to trim the fueling a little. Standard re-circ valve and wastegate is fine for that level of tune.

Any higher boost pressure on the standard turbo and you risk the exhaust wheel coming off.

But those mods got mine to 320atf and a very nice daily driver.
Any more than that (power wise) your going to be spending lots of money.
really? you got over 300 WITHOUT changing the turbo and running 0.85 bar boost?

Mine was running around 270 with all you have listed

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thats 320 at the fly.

Apexi intake, rising sun fmic, trust downpipe, rising sun decat, rising sun catback exhaust, walbro pump, splitfires, greddy iridiums, greddy profec b spec 2, exedy organic clutch, safc2 to sort out the overfuelling.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Gambit said:
Thats 320 at the fly.

Apexi intake, rising sun fmic, trust downpipe, rising sun decat, rising sun catback exhaust, walbro pump, splitfires, greddy iridiums, greddy profec b spec 2, exedy organic clutch, safc2 to sort out the overfuelling.
......still mate

u good some very good power out of your gtst there!

·
Registered
276 Posts
chrisskyline said:
i agree with faz for the spec list thats a lot of horsepower for the money, you overfuelling and running extra boost?
She was overfuelling from 4500-5500 rpm which was causing a hesitation. Tried ecu resets, new plugs, new coils the lot. TonyT on the soc forum put me onto an safc2 with a slight reduction in fuel in that area....end result was she pulled like a freight train :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i will look into the de-cat and down pipe do the plugs when i service it then think about a pump and see how it goes from there ,

what is the standard boost on a gts ? got a greedy boost gauge to fit at weekend just wondered what it should be running ? whats the 7+ mean on the standard gauge ? 7 psi ???

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
r5ben said:
well i will look into the de-cat and down pipe do the plugs when i service it then think about a pump and see how it goes from there ,

what is the standard boost on a gts ? got a greedy boost gauge to fit at weekend just wondered what it should be running ? whats the 7+ mean on the standard gauge ? 7 psi ???
+7 is 1 Bar. So you shouldn't be reading that high on standard settings. If the turbo is standard, get it checked out.

Depending on what year the car is, the internals of your turbo will be different. Pre '95 they were ceramic, during '96 they changed to steel.

Best mods to do first are downpipe and de-cat. This will allow the car to breath so much better. Then it's about were you want to go with the car and how big your wallet is? :rolleyes:

Ask yourself if your after a drag monster or a reasonably fast road car, or trackday car. :blahblah: :blahblah: You need to make changes bepending on what your after. The list is endless TBH.:p

And you might want to look at the brakes!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Andy Hornsby said:
+7 is 1 Bar. So you shouldn't be reading that high on standard settings. If the turbo is standard, get it checked out.

Depending on what year the car is, the internals of your turbo will be different. Pre '95 they were ceramic, during '96 they changed to steel.

Best mods to do first are downpipe and de-cat. This will allow the car to breath so much better. Then it's about were you want to go with the car and how big your wallet is? :rolleyes:

Ask yourself if your after a drag monster or a reasonably fast road car, or trackday car. :blahblah: :blahblah: You need to make changes bepending on what your after. The list is endless TBH.:p

And you might want to look at the brakes!
Wrong way rond mate, the early ones had the steel compressor wheel and the later ones had a ceramic one. But they all have ceramic exhaust wheels.

But spot on with the downpipe and de-cat, you'll see the turbo spin up quicker from it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Gambit said:
Wrong way rond mate, the early ones had the steel compressor wheel and the later ones had a ceramic one. But they all have ceramic exhaust wheels.

But spot on with the downpipe and de-cat, you'll see the turbo spin up quicker from it.

Only have ceramic turbine wheels, the compressor wheels are either steel or plastic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts