GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a lot of you will of been at one time the owners of a Subaru Impreza or an Evo.

I am considering buying one in the next few months and was wondering what your thoughts on the matter are?

I have ownded an Impreza before and loved it, but how much better , if at all is the R33?

Please give some constructive answers to help me out.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I went from 2x Porsche 911's to a Subaru Impreza STI 5 import (mod'd to 320 BHP). Then made the best ,move of all to a 97 GT R33 VSpec in met dark Blue!!

The Evo/subaru are a different kettle of fish being rally bred with short gearing , very good track cars on short, tight twisty roads etc.. But the Skyline is a GT car, longer gears, higher revs better build quality and so so comfortable if needed for a motorway journey.

There really is no contest..ask BLOWDOG, POLARBEARIT and Im sure theres many more on here.

...Ian

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi

I have had both an evo5 and an impreza wrx, they are both very
good cars but R33 is by far a much better car to live with day to
day.

Cheers Tom.:smokin:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi,

I've had an evo 6 - which was fun for a while - but does not have the longer term appeal of the R33 which is much more fun to drive. I have no regrets, but you should try one and make up your own mind. I would suggest trying one with at least a stage 1 upgrade (360 to 380 bhp), otherwise you may find the GTR to be a bit sluggish.

There are other treads on this board which discuss the merits of the EVO versus GTR which you might also find useful.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Which one???

Over my time I've either owned or driven all of the cars you mentioned. With regard to the R-33, it all depends on its state of tune. I personally didn't think it was up to much in standard guise and only really came into it's own under a stage 2 or stage 3 conversion. For value for money, the Subaru wins hands down. I've had a long love affair with Subaru and got fully into the Scooby tuning scene before discovering the Skyline. I believe a tuned Subaru gives a driving experience quite like no other. It's as if you are part of the car and due to it's short gearing, it gives the impression you are travelling at warp ten!

Mitsubishi's are a slightly different beast from the Subaru, being more manic and slightly more raw. I'm not so much a fan of the Evos as it always sounds like I'm thrashing the poor car to death just to keep the pace up. It's somewhat similar to driving a Cosworth. That said, a highly tuned Evo is a very effective piece of weaponry.

So to conclude Rupert Jarron's assessment (for what it's worth - work is slow today):

Skyline GTR-33
Pros: It's a Skyline
Cons: Has to be put on a course of Steroids to build its muscles up before it can really mix it with the big boys.

Impretza Sti Uk
Pros: It's the new shape
Cons: It's the new shape, plus it has less power than the old model AND it's considerably slower than the EVO 7.

P1
Pros: Fantastic value, a real bargain against what it originally cost.
Cons: None really, apart from it may become an even better bargain for someone else when you come to sell it. Why not get a WRX Sti Type 5 Grey import for the same car and performance for almost half the price?

22B
Pros: The King of the Subaru's. Very rate - a real head turner. No depreciation
Cons: If you purchase a standard 22B for £30,000 ish, you will have to spend another £10,000 ish to get it to the spec it should be - almost the same issues as with the Skyline GTR-33. If you're spending £40,000 ish, what the hell are you doing buying a Subaru???

Evo 6
Pros: Another bargain - Incredible performance for very little outlay.
Cons: Things do start to go pop if you try to get any more oomph out of the tiny block. Limits tuning possibilities…

Evo 7
Pros: Refined Evo 6
Cons: Expensive refined Evo 6

Any way, I'm at the end of my ramble! No conclusion, just the wanderings of a bored sales guy mind!!!

I hope it helps a bit?!?

Regards,

Rupert

·
Registered
57 Posts
22B's are a different kettle of fish to std Imprezas and the EVO. They can be made effectively rear wheel drive only, which makes them a different handling car altogether (they have a totally adjustable diff). They also look fantastic but again they are very uncomprimising as far as living with one is concerned. Very stiff, short geared etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Jamie

Too be blunt:

Depends what you are wanting from your car. If you want a darty nimble point to point machine that it will have to be a Scoob.

However if your wanting power/ grunt and race car handling R33.

Drive both decide what kind of driving yuo do and your priorities then choose

If you do fancy a Scoob I have arguable the finest in the UK for sale:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=76071

SJD

·
Registered
13 Posts
With all due respect, we're comparing a £50k car to £20k ones......

I would imagine a well sorted Scoob/EVO would hammer a GTR round a very tight twisty circuit - thats's their forte.

On wider tracks, A roads etc I can't see those 2 coming close - obviously the Skyline like most people have said would need at least a mild bit of tuning to have the same straightline pace.

Would have liked to have seen how a nice spec Skyline went round Bedford.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
ERM?

On wider tracks, A roads etc I can't see those 2 coming close - obviously the Skyline like most people have said would need at least a mild bit of tuning to have the same straightline pace.

Are you saying that a stock R33 which is really about 315/320 BHP would struggle on straight line speed against a Subaru and Evo??

I had a STI5 and that beat everything up to 65 MPH but after that I'd sit and hope the Porsche (or what ever the competion) owner had admitted defeat.

I disagree with your statement about getting Hammered sorry!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just my personal experience.

Maybe I've just had the misfortune to compare against not very good ones, who knows.

Being sad, have seen a few GTRs do the 1/4 . R34s "seem" to be quicker - although again, only comparing a few that I've seeen and these seem to respond well to exhausts and filters.....

A supposed 360hp R34 was about the same as my STI V with exhaust filter and no more.

I'd imagine you'd need 400ish and a bit to be equal with how mine ended up - again -have seen a few with a supposed 440ish hp, but they may have been BS figures.

I know Blowdogs is pretty quick for a std car.

Will be interested to see what happens on 27th July - I assume a fair few from here are going? I'd imagine you lot should be the pace setters, but we shall see.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Got ya!

AHHH I know your car now! I was at the SIDC Donno day in my R33 and yes I did lget out of the way!

I agree, my STI5 with exhaust HKS ind kit and LINK by BRD felt like a 360/370 BHP Skyline but only up to the 80/90 mph barrier. Then the Skyline sprouts legs with its longer gears and higher Rev band.

Whats the deal for the 27th July then?

..IS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was quite strange - 1st and 2nd gear was close to normal STI type - maybe half a sec quicker to 60. 60 -100 I'd take around 3.5 secs out of an STI/EVO.

100+ forget it :D I was at 120 I think before they'd hit a ton

Hope I didn't barge you out of the way? Was pi55ing about as it was nice and wet ;)

27th July - that's the multi marque comparison - 10 quickest GTRs, Supras, Scoobs, EVOs, Cossies etc etc

Theres been quite a lot of info going around.

Think they were even trying to get a Macca F1 there - so should be great to go too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been in most of the above. I have driven a 360-380 bhp R33 around anglesey circuit and it was great fun and as quick anything else present on the day. The fact is that anybody but anybody, can drive a Subaru/ Mitsubishi quickly. This does not apply to the Skyline. My 200 can also keep up with Skylines of this power to about 80-90 mph but then it is left behind. In my opinion Skylines also feel much quicker, maybe due to the lag and the sudden acceleration. I am sure that most people would find a skyline the most rewarding drive. If however your main concern is beating other people (and not driving pleasure) then buy a Subaru but be aware that once beaten by anything other than a higher powered mitsubishi or subaru, your driving skills will be very much put in doubt. MOST OF ALL BUY SOMETHING THAT YOU THINK IS FUN TO DRIVE.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Please note that I am sure there are some very talented drivers (Tommi Makinen for example!!!:D ) driving subarus and Mitsubishis. I would also perhaps like to own a mitsubishi or subaru at some point but perhaps only once I have a skyline or 993RS!! One day maybe;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL

Think I never got the hang of 4WD - that must have been why my rear tyres were always bald but never the fronts :D

Slower but fun

·
Registered
248 Posts
M8 FWD you can't ge the hang of a skatboard fella ;)

26th Hmmmm will I still have my car then???

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wasssarrghhhhh
;)

In Fact Craig you couldn't giv me a beel could yo M8 haven't got your Mobi and want to speak to you bout an offer my car.

TTFN

1 - 20 of 34 Posts