GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hmm, well, the rings turned up today so I thought I'd give them a quick try...

First impressions; I've only got a 9v PS rather than 12v so they're quite dim compared to the LEDs and unfortunately they're not full rings unlike the description. Shame really as the ring sizes are perfect!

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cheers Alan, I'm just fancying doing something different with mine now, updating them a little and of course making them a bit more unique. :)

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Cheers Alan, I'm just fancying doing something different with mine now, updating them a little and of course making them a bit more unique. :)
They are unique anyway mate, Your old MY12 is the same hehe :bowdown1:

Best regards

·
Registered
277 Posts
Matt

I had the ring lights you have I know what you mean about the brightness and not getting a full circle you should buy the led versions from the retrofit source I bought them they are so bright when you blink you see the circles lol and you also get a full circle there's no start/end as on the glass ones you have, and the LEDs go all the way round, don't worry about the LEDs not looking bright in this pic I had to really play around with the settings to get the cam to pick up the circles properly there that bright the cam pics the rings up as a solidish light and 1 more bonus with the led version has a very small black cylinder, compared to a bulky rectangle box to hide on the glass ring version

Hope this helps ya

Attachments

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cheers, I ordereed a set of 126mm LED rings at the same time as the CCFLs but they haven't arrived yet. I'll post pics when they do :)

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So, full LED rings arrived...

They're quite bright but do look good...

I took a pic with the flash on to try and get some contrast...

Obviously, everything will need lining back up but brake lights on...

And finally, both together...

Much different and much better in the flesh BTW! :chuckle:

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The rings I got from eBay, I just measured the housing and ordered the right size.
The PCBs I had made to my design years ago, just wanted to update the look a little.

Advice on fitting? Just the rings?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Thanks Matt
Yes I'm aware of your hard work :)
Yeh - are you sticking to the PCB you have made? Any reflective material behind the LED etc

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeh - are you sticking to the PCB you have made? Any reflective material behind the LED etc
Keeping the PCBs, just changing sidelights only.
The PCBs are backed with a black resist, not reflective at all, just there to make the lights look darker.
The LED rings are backed with a reflector built in, if you want, I can take pictures of the rings off if it helps?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Thanks for the offer Matt. I won't bother you for taking your hard work apart, but appreciate the offer.
The info provided is protect and gives me a good idea what to look for.
I'm tempted to try something like a 2 sized setup with a ring inside a ring... Long way off doing it mind. Will take me half a day to get to the back of my GTR lol.

Much appreciated :)

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
No worries, they're just loose in the box as it'll be a while before I do the conversion.

Happy to help if needed :)

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Whilst they look fine, if you can source red rather than white, they will look much better ;)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts