GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have asked this before, but here goes anyway...

I am going to be getting my numberplates replaced, ideally the same kinda size as Shin's front and rear plates.

The ones I've got currently are two-tier on the back (motorcycle style) and legal *pff* sized font on the front, consequently the front numberplate is bigger than I would like it to be. Have a look at my front and rear ones and you'll see what I mean.

The only caveat is that I want to get these plates done a.s.a.p by the honorable Mr Dirk Diggler, so I can have them ready for whenever my car is fixed.

Does anyone have offhand measurements for front/rear plates for an R33 which are approximately the same dimensions/format as Shins? (to give an example)

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
758 Posts
Plate size

Darren,

I believe my plates are the same size as Shin's.

Front = 340 x 90 mm - clears the i/c nicely.
Rear = 340 x 180mm

Illegal front plate size but as the law can only clock it as you come towards them, by the time they notice you are long gone.

Regards
Vince

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are a star, thankyou :)

I don't really care if they are illegal to be honest, I've already been told off by the Police for my "highly illegal" front numberplate, even though it is about as legal as they get (so the plate size isn't exactly right, but the text is perfectly readable).

Anyway, thanks muchly :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi Chaps,

also an idea to keep the old plate as the law has changed (jan 2002) and you now will not get an mot with a small plate.

the new legislation has something to do with the spacing between the numbers and letters.

worth finding out about from thegarage you will use to test it.....

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point.

I was planning to put my old plates in the boot and whip them out as needed should I get any problems. If I (or indeed anyone) got an actual legal Halfords style numberplate for the front, it would obstruct the N1 bumper vents (on top of looking cack) - so there's zero chance of me doing that no matter how many telling offs I get :mad:

I've only actually been stopped once, and that was by a copper walking around town. He'd obviously had one too many Weetabix that morning.

(Note: I have the upmost respect for the Police, but I believe there's more important things for them to worry about besides debating over the size of a perfectly readable numberplate)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Plates.

I have a number plate ** GTR which is obviously short enough to fit with the correct (legal) spacing and fits in to the cut out in between the N1 vents. Same for the rear , no need for a double lined plate.

Only £275 or something for the reg plate on www.dvla-som.co.uk

...Ian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Plate size

My front plates for the GTS4 is 340 x 110 mm. where 110mm is the same height as standard plates. If you have only five letters there you can still squeeze them in a legal font on the front plates.

skyline501 said:
Darren,

I believe my plates are the same size as Shin's.

Front = 340 x 90 mm - clears the i/c nicely.
Rear = 340 x 180mm

Illegal front plate size but as the law can only clock it as you come towards them, by the time they notice you are long gone.

Regards
Vince

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my current plates are about that size..

If you look at Shins and Blowdog's plates (see pic here) you'll see that neither are strictly legal, but both are easily readable (Blowdog's is a bit indecipherable because of the spacing).

I particularly like the font on Shin's plates. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts