GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
strut towers were mint when I bought the car, but after 6 months they have started to let go :((((

anyone know someone near north London who can sort it out for me? cheaper the better :)

uploadfromtaptalk1398532952626.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398532972208.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398533014767.jpg

·
Registered
25,956 Posts
if its like that now, then you want to strip the whole thing back and see where else its rusty

6months is little time for it to go from 0 to that.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Agreed, go to Bobs the work they have done on the blue R33 is amazing!

If that is too far, someone down the road from you, Fully Loaded Cars Tottenham, ask for Marco and tell him I sent you, these guys are also perfectionists I have used them before and cannot fault the workmanship.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice one mate. it's just a 5 min drive from my place. will try them and get a quote... failing that I will go to Bob ;)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if its like that now, then you want to strip the whole thing back and see where else its rusty

6months is little time for it to go from 0 to that.
I agree it's little time. I will soon post a pic of how the car was when I bought it in July... looked mint....

I think someone must have just painted over the area without properly treating it.... arrrggghhhh! :(

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the strut brace is likely a very large contubuting culprit, the edges rub on the strut towers and damage the paint protection! You need to chamfer off the edges with a file!
I think I will have to do that once they are sorted... will file it down a bit on both sides...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bobby is a total perfectionist if it isn't 110% he wont do it, I have learnt that by being the only one patient enough to price nut and bolt for his car!!

If you want a quick cheap job take it some where else! If you want it doing right take it to Bobby!

Rich

·
Vendor
12,628 Posts
Looking by the bleed on the struts they've been done before. When are you wanting them doing as we will be dropping a car off nr london shortly and could collect yours.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
You can expect them to look something like this once the rot is cut out.

As you can see, there is a channel under there too (Toward the top of the pic) that will most likely need repairing first.

They seem to corrode from underneath upwards so those in the original post where well on the way before the car was purchased. The strut brace won't have made much difference as they rot through even when one has never been fitted. There is a double skin area right there and that is always bad news for corrosion.

Mine looked like this once I had done with them.

Other bits of corrosion may show themselves too, It's best to have them done the same time really, I had to put a couple of small plates in near the bottom of the strut tower on mine.

Just so you know what to expect :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed, go to Bobs the work they have done on the blue R33 is amazing!

If that is too far, someone down the road from you, Fully Loaded Cars Tottenham, ask for Marco and tell him I sent you, these guys are also perfectionists I have used them before and cannot fault the workmanship.
went and saw Marco. very friendly and helpful guy. they had an r35 they were working on also.. looked stunning......

however.... the major news is.... his quote is around £1000!! :( :(

I thought sorting these out are around 300 mark? or am I being delusional... I swear I read somewhere on here that's around the price I should expect to pay....
:(

·
Registered
385 Posts
A grand sounds a bit high. Interested to hear from other members here that have had there's done and what they paid and where from? I'm after mine done so open to offers from people that can do the work.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
went and saw Marco. very friendly and helpful guy. they had an r35 they were working on also.. looked stunning......

however.... the major news is.... his quote is around £1000!! :( :(

I thought sorting these out are around 300 mark? or am I being delusional... I swear I read somewhere on here that's around the price I should expect to pay....
:(
Did they tell you what they will do? ie, remake the top plates from sheet metal with oe pattern and weld them on or will you give them some replacements to use from a donor R33?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep he explained clearly what needs to be done. wings, headlights and some other bits out, then drill the weld points and cut out plate and see how bad the damage is. if it doesn't need replacing then clean it, acid dip it etc etc and put it back on. otherwise I have a choice of providing him a donor plate or he can fabricate one that looks the same for additional cost...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts