GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just recently had a new second hand gearbox fitted and my OS Giken rebuilt using a new rebuild kit...both done at Garage-D.
They did the job quickly and I drive the car without any issues.

But, prior to the car getting the work done there was always a very slight gearbox rattling noise when the car would idle, weather i am sitting at traffic or parked at idle. Would not be much when its cold, but once its warm you can hear it slightly. Not as loud as the clutch rattle when the clutch pedal is pressed.
This one happens at idle and obviously I cannot tell if it happens when I drive it because the exhaust and cabin noise drowns it out.

I have no idea what it is and I thought once the gearbox and clutch work was done, it would disappear. But the same sound is there. I was thinking maybe something is loose, bell housing issue or maybe flywheel is not tight, i dont know...completely new to me. The car drives and pulls fine without any noticeable problems.

I found a thread here about someone else having a similar gearbox rattle at idle who is running the os giken clutch, but his clutch was a three plate clutch and it seems these clutches do rattle at idle a slight bit.

Does anyone know if the two plate one I have could possible be doing the same thing? Is that the rattle I am hearing? I just don't want to have to take it to the garage and for them to remove the gearbox to check for everything and be charged for labour only to find out these clutches do rattle a bit on idle.

Any help appreciated as always.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Clutch rattle is perfectly normal on twin plates too ;)
Can't tell from behind my computer if that's what your hearing though :D

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch rattle is perfectly normal on twin plates too ;)
Can't tell from behind my computer if that's what your hearing though :D
Lol thanks.
I realise the clutch rattles when pressed, but would it also rattle a bit on idle without the clutch pedal pressed at all? on neutral gear? :nervous:

I am really hoping it is just clutch rattle and nothing loose or bad down there. I have considered taking a video or audio recording of it, but it is sooooooo feint that I am certain nobody will be able to hear it clearly :)

But i will certainly try maybe tomorrow and post an audio link here....i don't know if it helps or not :rolleyes:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
layshaft rumbling? Would it do that and emit the same sound on both gearboxes...even after I got a new second hand gearbox put in?

No idea....

so it's not the clutch?..twin plates dont make a slight rattle on idle/neutral? :confused:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
os giken twin plates do rattle and with it being new this wont help the noise.it may be more prominent.also the noise can be transmiited into the box as vibrations..what oil is in the box?.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
os giken twin plates do rattle and with it being new this wont help the noise.it may be more prominent.also the noise can be transmiited into the box as vibrations..what oil is in the box?.
it had redline shockproof light oil in it. the previous box has the nissan recommended oil in it. thought I would change the oil to redline when I got this box installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts