GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The standard R33 GTR airbox has an intake from the front of the car.

It also has a second (outlet ?) duct that exits out under the front wing.

On my last GTR this had a factory blank fitted, which effectively made the airbox slightly pressurised at speed. My current car has this duct open to the wing. It looks as though you could swap the blank around as both duct outlets fron the airbox are the same. Is this for summer/winter running?

Does anyone know the function of this second duct and should it be open or blanked for best performance?:confused:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Mook it's not the cold climate option.

My series 3 had this blanked off, I removed it, and I'm pretty sure it's just to allow the air intake to breathe better, for tuned engines. Perhaps there is some kind of resonator effect, I don't know.

But you guys know there are many "hidden" pre-tune functions that Nissan put into the cars, right? For example look under the rear seat, there are holes predrilled to receive the hooks for a racing harness. For the series 3 cars, a portion of the left front turn signal grill is cut out, anticipating the installation of an oil cooler. Etc.

Aki

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mook it's not the cold climate option.

My series 3 had this blanked off, I removed it, and I'm pretty sure it's just to allow the air intake to breathe better, for tuned engines. Perhaps there is some kind of resonator effect, I don't know.

But you guys know there are many "hidden" pre-tune functions that Nissan put into the cars, right? For example look under the rear seat, there are holes predrilled to receive the hooks for a racing harness. For the series 3 cars, a portion of the left front turn signal grill is cut out, anticipating the installation of an oil cooler. Etc.

Aki
Aki

I think you may be right with the pre-tune theory. I know from motorcycle technology, having that blanked off and using the standard ducting will create a pressurised air box at high speed. Some bikes make another 10 -15 BHP at speed. A lot of bike tuners now put a fan directly in front of the duct to simulate this on the dyno.

It would be good to find the "official " reason though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts