GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I went to look at a R34 GTR this morning but came away feeling quite disappointed. The car I looked at had a few cosmetic problems (should read car was a complete shed) but the main issue was when I drove it (Car was standard bar an exhaust).

I've owned turbo cars in the past & have always felt a decent kick when the turbos come on boost but there didn't seem to be anything, it drove like a N/A car IMO. So I have a few questions

- When does a R34 come on boost? (I only got upto about 4.5k RPM, but thought I would have felt something by then?)
- With stock turbos is it really noticeable when it comes on boost (I never bothered to check the MFD to see if it was boosting :nervous:?
- What sort of power can the OEM clutch & fly take?
- Is exhaust, downpipes, cat, filters & a piggyback enough to make 450BHP
- Are there any R34 GTR owners local to Cardiff who would take me out in theyr'e car?

I think thats all for now, slightly disappointed that it never really felt any faster than my 350Z :mad:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, its not one that I will be following up on. There were so many flaws with the car that IMO makes it worth nowhere near the £20K asking price for it

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I haven't driven a standard one mate but I guess you would feel a push in the back from about 3k rpm with those ceramic turbos which are supposed to spool really early :thumbsup:

If you are ever in the North-East and you want to see what one of these babies can really do when modified then drop me a PM and I will take you out for a spin :p

·
Super Moderator
15,847 Posts
TBF I don't think GTRs are 'kickers' when the turbos come in though, certainly not compared to other turbo cars I've owned. It's more of a gradual whoosh and then you realise you are still going and it's quite fast.:p

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Which car was it? Might be worth putting up a link to the car to stop others wasting their time looking at it.

I've never driven an R34GTR but have owned a completely standard (bar cat back exhaust) R33GTR and you could tell when it came on boost but it wasnt a big kick in the nuts type feeling- more gradual like toni says

·
Registered
206 Posts
Test drove three R34's before settling with this one. All of them were at full boost @ 3.5Krpm.
Two were UK models with the Middlehurst upgrades of exhaust, filters and cams and neither gave me a big kick. You know when it's on boost, but much more progressive than a similar powered Evo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That was on Pistonheads the first time I ever looked at R34's seriously, which was back in April.
As has the Yellow import one below it too.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
What other issues did it have with it if you dont mind me asking.

Did you manage to have a look at the yellow one aswell? What sort of nick was that in?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What other issues did it have with it if you dont mind me asking.

Did you manage to have a look at the yellow one aswell? What sort of nick was that in?
From what I can remember

- Paint was blistering on the c pillar, spoiler & door
- There was a rattling noise when the clutch was pressed to change into 2nd
- most of the screws for the engine cover were missing
- the door was constantly rattling
- there was a rattle coming from the boot area
- the bonnet release was broken & hanging down in the foot well

And the obvious lack of power. From speaking to the guy working there today it came over as a grade 3.5. It has recently had a new exhaust & is taxed, MOTd & SVAd ready to go but at that asking price IMO its a massive risk

The yellow one was no better, I was unable to drive that though because it had a couple of flat tyres :rolleyes: There was also a few gouges on the rear where it looks like a v-spec badge has been removed with some force.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Ive been looking at that blue one for a while now, was considering going to look at it with a view to part-ex'ing the 33. At least now I know its not worth it.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
those have been on there for at least 9-10months
if you was stuck with a car for that time, you would guess they would make an effort to tidy them up a bit!

or have they all ready tarted them up ? dread to think what they was like when they arrived here!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I've just sold my R34 GTR but you are welcome to have a ride in my R32 GTR, i've got a nicely modded one and a standard'ish one. Out of interest are you a mate of Amo from Newport?
Dave.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've just sold my R34 GTR but you are welcome to have a ride in my R32 GTR, i've got a nicely modded one and a standard'ish one. Out of interest are you a mate of Amo from Newport?
Dave.
I know of Amo but I dont know him personally.

I enquired about both cars back in June & they were the same price then :nervous:

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I think the company used to be call Autoterminal, i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure it's the same company. If it's the same co then the cars owe them a fortune more than £20k as they were imported and tested a while back.
I'm only up the road in Blackwood so if you want to call up then you are welcome to so you can have a good idea of how a good GTR drives!
Dave.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Dave

Whereabouts in Blackwood are you? I live in Caerphilly so only 5mins away from you :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts