GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, I am currently in discussions with someone in America about buying some R34 brakes for my R32.

I am trying to get a price agreed, but am apprehensive about customs etc..

If the brakes cost $1200 and delivery to the UK is $150 does anyone know what I will actually end up paying roughly?

Now for the main question, whilst I am fairly mechanically minded I simply don't have the tools or suitable premises to fit them myself (I have read the guide previously posted on here), would there be anyone here that is capable of fitting them for me for a small fee? or would I be better off going to a garage and getting it done professionally?

Thanks for any pointers, help or advice

Dale

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Dale
Hope this helps.
I use to buy quite a few antiques and have them shipped from the USA so this info was right ( approx 6 months ago)
There is duty and vat to pay on the value of the goods. So if you are insuring the goods the value has to be declared and customs will use that figure,
Tax is up to 10% I think plus VAT. Only trouble is they charge VAT the cost of the shipping and the value of the goods.
However if the package is marked as a value of under £30 (This used to be the right figure) and as a gift I have never had to pay any charges. If you need to insure them ( which seems sensible) I think you will have to pay tax ( 4-10 % I am not sure on car spares) but definately VAT on the value of the goods (insured amount) plus the shipping costs

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info chaps, Leggus, that is the article I read before, which is really helpful, only I still don't feel overly confident of doing it myself (plus I have no where to perform the 'operation'! (my drive way is basically an unmade road which isn't really suitable for jacking a car up...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts