GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experiece on running R34 Ceramics at 1.2 bar?

I heard a rumour that some Jap owner's are running them at 1.2

If this is the case it lopp's off £1800 for a decent conversion?

PS: Due to the 34 my R33 V-spec is now for sale - e-mail me for details

·
Registered
547 Posts
1.2 bar

I run mine at that .. I've actually seen 1.55 bar once !!:D gulp! :(

There was quite a bit of chat about this a while ago on this forum, a quick search (button at top left of the screen) will find it.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
R34 Turbines

1.2 from R34 stuck turbines is very common here in Japan. I even noticed Tomei use this setting with their ECU+cams set ups
I will also be running this boost once my exhaust and Ecu are in.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Joss

They offer quite a few so I think the best thing to do is for me to post a picture of the ad page. I personally think Tomei are up there with the best when it comes to engine internals. A friend has a Tomei tuned Evo 6 and nothing has ever gone wrong.

I'll take the picture and post it on later....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Internals

Yeah, Kiki at Option Motorsport is also a big fan of Tomei. He recommends Tomei or Jun (in that order) for engine internals.

Talat.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Cams

I knew I'd get confused :( Tomei do Type A and Type B cams..
As have a 31° overlap and Bs a 35° overlap (o° is standard on R32s)

Then there's a choice of
Basic spec
IN 260°/EX 252° 9.15mm Type A
IN 260°/EX 260° 9.15mm Type B
These have a "based circle?" of 32

Or you can mix and match:
252°, 256°, 260°, 270°, 280° and 290° In and Ex
The 260V and above have a "based circle?" of 30??

and lifts of 9.15mm, 10.25mm, 10.80mm & 11.5mm with the bigger lifts at the large xxx° end of the scale.

So who knows what this means?

Oh and a pair of cams are ¥68,000 or about £390

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advise guy's.

Tony at abbey said that he would not reccommend it as he felt it was to much stress for them. How different are they to 33 ceramics? and is there any official information avaliable from Garrett??

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very Very interesting. I don't think for a moment that Tony is playing games as I trust him. Perhaps it was just the context of my conversation with.

Anyway, What BHP is Joss's and your's running at?

·
Registered
547 Posts
boost

Right now I'm on 420bhp .. but I did fit a big F**k off intercooler to keep the det away :)

Below is a graph of what the boost is up to on a dyno run; 100% throttle ... As you can see the peaks last for tiny fractions of a second (the darker trace is a 0.55 second moving average) so although you may get a 1.3 peak reading it's spending most of the time nearer 1.15

Remember Tony probably can't "recommend" overboosting stock turbos as he'll end up copping the blame if it goes bang... and they have not done enough of them or had enough time to tell how Ok this setup is.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have some cars here running 1.3 - 1.4 bar on the stock ceramic R32 - R33 turbos...

1.3 bar - Apex intake , Power FC ,Exhaust , HKS intercooler = 399.6 hp to the wheels on 92 octane pump gas - Dynojet Dyno

JUST DO NOT DETONATE ON THE MOTOR. Detonate and break the exhaust wheel off. Then you get a NA Skyline - and thats not that cool . I have done it at stock boost levels..

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Boost

Motorex and others.

What is the highest boost a standard engine can take (yeah you know what I'm thinking Guy) or does this depend on the turbos or in my case turbo (T78). I would ask Mark/Tony at Abbey but I drive them mad all week and this question just pinged into my head.

Glen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The question is not worded correctly. The highest boost the car can handle depends on many factors.

How big is the turbo?

What fuel system do you have ?

What fuel are you runinng?

A better question would be how much horsepower can the stock engine take.

At least 500 hp at the wheels...

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Maps.

MotoRex said:
We have some cars here running 1.3 - 1.4 bar on the stock ceramic R32 - R33 turbos...

1.3 bar - Apex intake , Power FC ,Exhaust , HKS intercooler = 399.6 hp to the wheels on 92 octane pump gas - Dynojet Dyno
Hi Sean,

You may recall that I've got a PFC fitted to my 33 and I'd love to run it at 1.1 or 1.2 bar.

The 'knowledge' over here is that you don't run ceramics at over 1.0 bar. I have spoken to a couple of guys in Australia and NZ who runs their cars at 1.1 and 1.2 bar respectively long term without problems. I've also read about 33's in Japan being run at 1.2 bar although Shin Inoue, from the Japanese GTROC, says that 1.0 bar is widely accepted as safe max boost over there now.

My questions are:

How long have 'your' cars been running at 1.3+ bar boost?

What size injectors are fitted?

Do you rely upon the PFC knock display to monitor det. and do you map on the road or on a dyno?

Do you have the inj. and fuel maps in a spreadsheet format presuming that you've had to alter the standard maps to run at these boost levels? If you do, is there any chance of a copy?

Many thanks.

Peter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Maps.

PeterE said:

How long have 'your' cars been running at 1.3+ bar boost?

What size injectors are fitted?

Do you rely upon the PFC knock display to monitor det. and do you map on the road or on a dyno?

Do you have the inj. and fuel maps in a spreadsheet format presuming that you've had to alter the standard maps to run at these boost levels? If you do, is there any chance of a copy?
Wen's car is running 1.3 on pump gas for about 2-3 months... That is with a Power FC tuned for that vehicle. I don't think 1.0 bar is an issue at all. I have run them at that with no issues -stock computer.

Stock injectors are fitted in that car.

That car was tuned on a dynojet Dyno , by Apex'i s engineer in the US.

I don't have any spreadsheets for the vehicles. Every car is a little different - and the type of local fuels are different.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Re: Re: Maps.

MotoRex said:

Wen's car is running 1.3 on pump gas for about 2-3 months... That is with a Power FC tuned for that vehicle. I don't think 1.0 bar is an issue at all. I have run them at that with no issues -stock computer.

Stock injectors are fitted in that car.

That car was tuned on a dynojet Dyno , by Apex'i s engineer in the US.

I don't have any spreadsheets for the vehicles. Every car is a little different - and the type of local fuels are different.
No, 1.0 bar isn't an issue but anything more would seem to be over here. Most 33's with stock turbos run at 1.0 bar here. I'm curious to learn whether your decision to run at 1.3 bar was from advice or from experience or 'experimental'? Did Garrett advise you that this level of boost was 'safe' or did you get advice from Japan?

I'm also intrigued to learn that it's running at this level on stock injectors as it would seem that to run at anything over 1.2 bar, consensus is you either need to upgrade the injectors and possibly pump or increase fuel pressure with an adjustable regulator. Would I be correct in thinking that the injectors are running at 100% at max boost up the rev range?

It would be interesting to see the ignition map especially as the car is tuned to run on 92 fuel. I would imagine that the map is fairly well retarded. Does Wen ever take the car on to a track, the biggest test?

Peter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wen works at Apex'i here in the US. He is eventually going to upgrade the car to 600+ horsepower.

For now they are pushing the car to see what it will do. They said that they had about maxed out the airflow meters at 1.3 bar . Tuning is done a little differently - Japan to the US...

His car made 399.6 hp to the rear wheels at 1.3 bar.

He ran the car in Palmdale 3000ft - and heat . It ran a 12.6 @ 110

I ran our Pikes Peak car with the stock turbos, 1.0 bar of boost , pump gas , 256 cams , 550 injectors , HKS intercooler , partial piping kit , HKS intake and exhaust to a 12.1 @ 110 mph with a 1.79 60 foot time. I would have liked to try 1.4 , but I had some problems with the boost controller..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts