GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

At the moment i have some Teins on my R34.. there quite old though so most probably super streets or something.. Just had them rebuilt as well but they still don't feel brilliant.

There on there max stiffness, but I don't think there as stiff on the rear as id like as I'm having more movement than i'd like in hard cornering which is causing my rear arch to catch the tyre now n again

I don't track the car but id like some that are firm and make the car feel really planted that will be steady as a rock in corners

Mine have most probably just seen there best days so a new set can only be a good thing..

My choices are HSD monopro's, BC's and CS2's

Any info please?

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R34 Coilover's

Yeah i was recommended the Meister R's on here which im going to look more further into.

From what i gather, my Tein's i have on now are quite old and even though iv had them rebuilt recently, there still not brilliant..

They are the type that raise the height as you make them stiffer.. which isnt what i want because at there stiffest its a bit higher than i want.

I just want enough reasonable space between top of the tyre and rear arch and still be low but not catch the tyres on hard bends or pot holes so the less movement the better.

I may look into the sway bars if the new coilovers dont 100% remove the issue.

cheers

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well, we are a trader on here so if you got any questions just drop us a PM. :)

Realistically, I would go with coilovers first, and see "if" you need thicker anti-roll bar.
I personally don't like very thick anti-roll bar on road cars as you "need" body roll to generate mechanical grip, especially on uneven UK road surfaces.

This is where a lot of "coilovers are harsh" goes wrong because these suspension were meant for track use.
Putting them on a road car mean you get an extremely uncomfortable ride and often less traction, which is what you are really after on a fast road car.

Jerrick

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Avoid Teins, they are horrible and rust pretty fast! Having done some track testing with the Meister R's I found them a good balance between road and fast road and track. They handle very well and not harsh like JDM dampers. The range obtained from their combined bump and rebound is impressive and the last suspension I experienced like this were a set of adjustable coil over Bilsteins on an M5.

That said the HKS make very good dampers, I have a set of Hipermax III which I find brilliant even on bumpy roads. The new spec HKS IV range of dampers are very very good having spoken to a number of people all gave it good feedback.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I would first get what you have checked!

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need stiff suspension to stop the roll. You will be better off with roll bars and replacing any worn parts with new.

My standard suspension was too stiff for the roads where I live- caused the car to become un settled on bumps. Changed to BC's- any equivalent will work well, and the car handles a lot better. Roll bars will reduce body roll without affecting the ride quality.

Roll bars would be my suggestion for you. I have up rated front roll bar and I hardly notice any roll on the road, and only a little on track.

Oh and mine are on there softess setting!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MeisterR - Thanks Jerrick, The Meister R's seem perfect for me, from what iv read and the price is really competitive also. I just think my cars in need of more modern set of coilovers that can be fine tuned to my needs. Im not gonna bad mouth Tein, i just dont think they suit my car for what i want. probably more an upgrade over the oem suspension. Will definately be in touch about the Meister's though, thanks.

FRRacer- Yeah i agree, Mine were very rusty prior to rebuilding. Even after a refresh i dont feel anything changed.. they just didnt squeek or rub AS much. But still on the stiffest setting they feel too bouncy. Your +1 for the Meister R's just gives me more confidence these will be great.

GTR Cook- I had them checked at 2 places, before and after they were rebuilt. I Just think these coils have seen there best days and just don't suit what Im after. Their only on there stiffest setting because as they were adjusted slightly, nothing changed. But i definatly dont like how they rise as they get stiffer.. As i don't like the rear end too high. Anti Roll bar wise.. I shall definitely look into upgrading if need be. I shall do the coils first though, and have them set up and go from there.

Thanks for the info though guys.

I appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts