GTR Forum banner

R34 Full bare metal re-spray :-/

17K views 91 replies 31 participants last post by  JapFreak786 
#1 ·
Time has come to really throw some money at the body work. Its been resprayed before but with some stonechips and rust on underside and engine bay its time to rip everything out and fix everything in one go. Plan is to send to RBMotorsport in December time for them to make it a rolling shell then they will pass onto the bodyshop. So hopefully it should be done early 2014, and with engine out it will be getting powder coated and knowing me some more mods lol.

Already spent £2.5k on body parts so far and guessing getting over £10k in labour and parts by the end of it.

Anyone else done this and can give me some advise on things to change and look out for.:confused:

Graham

#7 ·
10'000 ?? thats alot of money for a respray i own my own panel shop here in Italy if i charged that sort of money i would'nt have any work....

Graham to get that sort job done in italy a full respray and also underbody your looking at 7000euro finished

Romeo

#10 ·
A bare metal respray depend how it gets done. All GTR have aluminium panels they need to get treated.
If they get sanded they can distort with the heat of the sander.
What we do is sand then with a special festall sander that keeps the aluminium cool at low rpm and as soon as you hit bare metal you need to stop or else the sending will pit the aluminium. Them epoxy and let then sit for 48 hour's under consistent head.

Its one easy but if you won't a perfect flat and streight finish thats What need to be done

#11 ·
Plus I'm replacing boot, door rear qtr window and a windscreen plus prob loads of bits I don't even know yet :-(. I'm also powder coating cam covers and changing all rubber pipes if I have any money spare lol. I'll know more about cost after Friday at RB's when we talk about what needs sorting or needs replacing.

#12 ·
Its great to now see owners restoring these vehicles back to their former glory. Sure the power thing is always a big draw but there aint a better sight than a truly immaculate gtr.

We have quite a few trim items etc kicking around if you need anything, all off a very low mileage v-spec.

#19 ·
It's a car I'll hopefully never need to sell and can't wait to get it back now. Just a shame I can't really afford to do some more upgrades but maybe in a few years. Think only thing I might need is a intercooler as one I've got might need repairing so might just get a new one.

Can't wait for the volks too so they will match each other, might need to get gold wheels for bike at this rate lol

#22 ·
It's not a full bare metal job. I'm not dipping the car but every bit of paint on outside, underneath and engine bay will be done. Fix or replace any part that's needs it, engine is getting powder coated plus evey pipe and bracket. I've replace boot and passenger door and rust is too bad to fix. Hopefully painting engine block and gearbox just to make it look abit nicer. The idea is not a show car but do the job right and make sure I don't have to touch it again in the next 20 plus years. Will be wax oiled every year just to make sure, and will be kept for dry day driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.