GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of trying an r34 gearbox for my v8 project since they are allegedly a lot stronger than r32/33 boxes.

Problem is I cant seem to find any solid invormation on how much power and torque they can handle before something serious goes wrong. I've searched and plenty of people mention synchros failing but I dont consider that a serious failure (unless they mean the entire synchro hub being ripped apart or something... )

I figure if nobody has heard of an R34 gearbox stripping the teeth off gears, or snapping shafts, or anything like that it should be worth a try. So long as I dont really hammer the synchros it should be ok!

So can anyone persuade me an R34 gearbox is a bad idea?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I think the most common issues are 3rd synrco and twisting the input shaft.

You can never really put a power figure on anything as it all depends on how it is used. :)

I have gone through crap loads of r32/r33 gearboxes. Even two that where rebuilt with the uprated center plate. My getrag seems to be able to take crap loads more abuse. Most of my use is drag racing too :). Car is running 531 hubs with 440 odd ftlbs.

I have launched it at 6000 rpm on 2 step and hammered it through the gears and all seems fine so far.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok the twisting of the input shaft is new to me. I wonder if anyone has bothered to have a new one made, with beefier splines!

How much hastle was it getting the getrag to fit into an R32? Its just a new prop and crossmember modification if I remember correctly?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Nismo do an on the shelf upgrade input shaft ;) Only in extreme case's. Bluer34 twisted his drag racing.

Yea all you need to do is.

Front section of an r34 rear prop
Front R34 prop
Modifly the stock crossmember. Just drill 2 holes in it :)
You will need to run an R34 clutch as the flywheels are thicker. So the clutch sits further on the input shaft.
And maybe a pull/push convertor depending on what clutch you run.

You have to change the plugs on the switchs too. Just cut the plugs off an r32/33 and solder them onto the getrag switch's JOB DONE.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not too difficult at all then!

This sounds like it might work! More affordable than a OS-88 or even a Target R modified jerico!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yea and you know the os88 will need rebuilding every weekend :chuckle:

Alot cheaper to fix then any of the other stuff :)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
excellent to hear you've got your gearbox woes all sorted out Madden! If you haven't had issues, I'm convinced the R34 Getrag conversion is the way to go if my box ever breaks!!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
@Madden; And how about the speedo? Can you just bolt the speedo gear thing from the R32 box into the r34 gearbox?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Thanks Andy ;)
I've still got all the stuff I bought from you a long time ago to bolt the getrag I've got in the shed on my R32. Just need to find the time unfortunatly...

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
How much does a good Getrag box cost?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
the speedometer takes a reading off the gearbox? Or there's a gear sensor to tell the car what gear it's in?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Off the transfer box as normal :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts