GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need to change Xenon headlights to xenons with 2000 lumens only for TÜV. Found out there are D5S with 25w and 2000 lumens, but the socket looks completely different.

Anyone knows if I can change them P&P? :confused: Or are there D2R xenons with 2000 lumens?

I am not really into Xenons, so I really have to ask.
Thx for your help in advance!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I believe it's actually the ballast that handles the power not the bulb.
Thus you have to source some 25W ballast. Then the headlight must be disassemble to replace the OEM ballast (35W) with the 25W ballast.
It's hard to source 25W of good quality. I should have one for test in a couple of days I'll keep you posted if you want.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,

you mean the D2R or D5S? D5S is an official product you can get from Philips and have 25W (& 2000 Lumens), so shouldn´t be a problem. But if you got D2R with same tech specs I would love to read what you got/done!

edit: TÜV guy definitely said to me I need the 2000 Lumens lights and it has to show up on the bulbs... so it has to be replaced

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don´t just want to use it - I want to know what exactly to modify to have it inside ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Even if you put a DS5 bulb (holder are not compatible) when the car will be inspected by the TUV the low beam pattern will be incorrect because DS* bulb are to be used in projector headlamp not reflector headlamp.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
naaaaa.... yesterday i sqeezed him a little... he said he just pressed them in so that he could pass TÜV.... they didn't fit in and so it looked quite strange... but it worked ^^

I still wonder if there is a chance to get 25w with 2000lumen working in the D2R socket..

@gtr33_vspec: Still waiting for your link...

·
Registered
447 Posts
One thing I'm not sure about : Xenon bulb works like a shortcut circuit. So the bulb would consume as much current as it can.
The ballast limits/controls the current the bulb can draw. I could be wrong here.
If I'm not wrong however a 25W ballast will limit the bulb power to 25W even if the bulb is rated 35W : the ballast will not allow the bulb to draw 35W of power.
Can anyone confirm this ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts