GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Ive recently purchased an R34 GTR and have plans to modify at a later stage when funds allow, all i really want to know is with the current mods the car has- full HKS downpipes and catback system, stock ecu, im adding HKS intakes is it worth me adding a boost controller for more boost? and realistically what level of power will it achieve, i plan to have a link g4 or syvec ecu in the future and injectors, turbos, clutch etc but not yet, what do you guys think any advice will be appreciated thanks.
John

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I'd add a boost controller and set it to about 1 bar or you will find the car will over boost

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'd try not to do anything until you're sure of what your plans are.. It's easy to spend twice on tuning.. Try to only do it once:)

Worth speaking to one of the tuners if you're not sure - you won't have to do or spend much to get a bit of extra power, going for different turbos etc is much more expensive though.

Enjoy the car :)

Any pics?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd try not to do anything until you're sure of what your plans are.. It's easy to spend twice on tuning.. Try to only do it once:)

Worth speaking to one of the tuners if you're not sure - you won't have to do or spend much to get a bit of extra power, going for different turbos etc is much more expensive though.

Enjoy the car :)

Any pics?
Thanks mate, im just trying to make the best of the mods it already has really, Proper tuning wont start until the ecu is changed:thumbsup:
Will get pics up but not yet as im getting a few bits done on the outside first
coilovers, wheels etc and a full detail.
Its a bayside blue v spec 2:D

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
HKS filter's sound great however the filtration on them isn't great and I'm assuming Matty will produce the link that shows few different filters..?

Apexi filters are really good, of course you can go for more expensive items, just don't go for names which sound fancy and go for what suits your budget and requirements

Regarding R Tune bumper,a friend is trying to source himself a Z Tune front bumper and may sell his R Tune bumper later, this won't be for a few months I'd imagine but if you like I can ask him for you, he is also a forum member

Also pics please! What colour is it, UK model or import etc etc! One thing to worth considering is rust treatment as these car's are getting oldish now, look at Toni's thread regarding her yellow UK R34 GTR and it's restoration, fresh import's won't have much rust I'd imagine but always worth getting things done to prevent future issues, not trying to concern you as it'll prob is fine but thinking long term :)

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Decide exactly where you want the car to be, and how you want it to feel when driving when you have finished your modding.
Then start your mods with that target/aim in mind
You've not mentioned brakes or suspension and, arguably, those should be the first things you play with.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Good points Bajie, maybe see if any other local owner's can take you out in their car's so you can understand what certain mods are like. Do you want low down power/torque or mental top end, how fast do you want spool etc

Are you after response,top speed etc, plenty of infomation on here to search on but I'm sure users wont mind posting details again

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HKS filter's sound great however the filtration on them isn't great and I'm assuming Matty will produce the link that shows few different filters..?

Apexi filters are really good, of course you can go for more expensive items, just don't go for names which sound fancy and go for what suits your budget and requirements

Regarding R Tune bumper,a friend is trying to source himself a Z Tune front bumper and may sell his R Tune bumper later, this won't be for a few months I'd imagine but if you like I can ask him for you, he is also a forum member

Also pics please! What colour is it, UK model or import etc etc! One thing to worth considering is rust treatment as these car's are getting oldish now, look at Toni's thread regarding her yellow UK R34 GTR and it's restoration, fresh import's won't have much rust I'd imagine but always worth getting things done to prevent future issues, not trying to concern you as it'll prob is fine but thinking long term :)
Thanks for the advice mate:thumbsup:
Yes i would be interested in your mates R-tune bumper if you dont mind asking him:thumbsup:
Regarding the car its a bayside blue v-spec 2 imported 3 yrs ago, it belonged to a forum member
its low mileage and very clean no rust and has been fully undersealed and had
the rear diffuser stainless bolt kit fitted, pics will be up soon as the car is up to my taste and fully detailed.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Thanks for the advice mate:thumbsup:
Yes i would be interested in your mates R-tune bumper if you dont mind asking him:thumbsup:
Regarding the car its a bayside blue v-spec 2 imported 3 yrs ago, it belonged to a forum member
its low mileage and very clean no rust and has been fully undersealed and had
the rear diffuser stainless bolt kit fitted, pics will be up soon as the car is up to my taste and fully detailed.:thumbsup:
Never beat a BB R34 GTR, car sounds good though!
And i'll drop him a pm for you now :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Decide exactly where you want the car to be, and how you want it to feel when driving when you have finished your modding.
Then start your mods with that target/aim in mind
You've not mentioned brakes or suspension and, arguably, those should be the first things you play with.
Thanks for the reply:thumbsup:
Its basically staying as it is for now mate, i will start the tuning at a later stage
and i will be doing everything including brakes, 550-600bhp will be my target.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Thanks for that Jags! regarding overboost dont these cars already have a boost restricter to prevent this?
R34's will over boost if you add a full free flowing exhaust system which includes down pipe and de-cat together with pod filters. The internal waste gates are apparently not big enough.

I'd stick with a stock air box if it were me but pod filters do make a nice noise. Apexi filters are pretty good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts