GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive always wanted a R34 GTR and hopefully very soon will be in a position to buy one. I have had a few R33 GTR's with different specs, what i want to know is from people who have owned both, is it really worth the extra ££££??

R34 s are double the price of R33's but are they really worth the extra cash?

Id like people opinions who have owned both models?

many thanks

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I had a R33 GT-R for 2 years and a R34 GT-R for 5,5. And I completely disagree with you, blue34. The R34 is better to drive since the chassis is better/stiffer. The R34 has more of a gocart feeling to it in the bends. Plus, the interior is better. :) I´d never consider buying a R33 again after owning a R34.

/P

·
R35 Section manager
10,979 Posts
I'v never driven a 34, but can imagine the suspension and handling can only of got better than the 33-with the Subarus I went through this was the case.

What is interesting tho is when you see all of the Skylines Gt-rs racing, with the 33/34 being neck and neck-surely if the 34 was much better it should be pulling away from the 33??

Both nice cars, but I dont think there is alot in it, other than looks.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is exactly what i mean. some people swear the 32 GTR is the best. The question is the r34 may be better in some ways,BUT is there a DOUBLE the price justification. Is it really worth paying twice as much?

12500k will buy one you top notch 500bhp R33GTR
25000k will buy you a good r34 GTR -probably with less power.

for someone who has owned both??? because driving a car is one thing, but owning and living with it everyday is something else

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
34`s are the price they are because there is a limited number of them.
32`s and 33`s weren`t £20k + when they were 10 years old. I got my 33 when it was 7 years old for 18K

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I've driven all three plenty of times, And I really had a thing for the R34.....But it didn't give me the fun factor my R32 does, Hence I didn't buy one.

·
Registered
736 Posts
a lot of people swear the R33 is the worst.

they say a high spec R32 is WAY more fun to drive than a R34... simply because there so much more road feel in a R32.

i agree the 32 needs chassis stiffening, and parts swapped to be more reliable etc .. but pound for pound the 32 is better imho.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kool, thats very interesting, thanks for your points of view. personally i think the r32s rear end looks too dated and thats always put me of them, however i have seen one or two that look lovely, dont know what kit they may have had on them.

im in a delimna, either i could go for a massive spec mint r32 gtr for the same money, or even a high spec r33gtr, but i keep thinking about the gorgeous shape of the 34!!!!

do people think 34 prices will come down a bit, they seem to be a little but still command 23k+

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
a lot of people swear the R33 is the worst.

they say a high spec R32 is WAY more fun to drive than a R34... simply because there so much more road feel in a R32.

i agree the 32 needs chassis stiffening, and parts swapped to be more reliable etc .. but pound for pound the 32 is better imho.
Just like these that I have coming....

:D:D:D

·
Registered
736 Posts
WOW.. please PM me where you got those "U-R"? racing r32 re-inforcement bars.. ive been looking for something like those for a long time as i know they really make a big difference in the chassis flex.

lemme know!!

and back to the OP's question...

honestly get a high spec 32... you'll have a LOT more fun..

you buy a low spec but clean 34.. its good for cruising and such but ur always gonna be paranoid about not having enough money to do it up the way u like it..

or get a stockish R32 and have it done up exactly the way you want it.

i would say 70% of the joy of owning an R32 GTr myself is deciding how im gonna mod it.. and buying the parts and stuff.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I have an R33 and an R34. It's horses for courses. Go for the one you like better or you will always have that 'if only...'.

But then again in a few years you can always get the other one if it still excites you!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Was in the same position recently, do I buy a stock R34 or go for older higher spec 32/33.
In the end looks, interior and rarity are what made me get a R34 :cool:

·
6,817 Posts
The R34 has the better chassis of the tree by far, but that doesn`t mean it will be so much superior because of the better chassis! It weight nealy 1700kg and the greatest achievement with the R34 GTR is that Nissan produced the best handling coupe in it`s price/size/weight class in the world. The R34 GTR is specially build to give that go-kart feeling and thanks to the stiff chassis it handles the weight so well, you think you are driving a 400kg lighter car . . . . .
Now the R32 GTR has none of this weight problems and doesn`t need such a sophisticated chassis to bounce around corners, thought the R32 GTR is 1989 welding technology, where the R34 GTR benefited from full computerized welding techniques and line robots.

As shown in this thread, uprating the front fender sections with stiffening arms on an R32 GTR is a good thing, but it isn`t a quality solution. Best is to spot weld the R32 GTR chassis, while removing previous welding spots or replacing them.

Other then the chassis issue there isn`t much that speaks for the expensive price the R34s still fetch, other then the looks. Any R32 GTR can be uprated with a Getrag mission, so this major performance gap on the R34 GTR is irrelevant, as your R32 GTR will still not cost what the bottom of the R34 GTR go for . . . . while adding a Getrag

At the end it is a personal decision about taste and cult. In europe the R34 GTR is a very big fashion machine, as it looks modern agressive and fits in to the european car culture very well . . . . in japan most GTR fans would go for an R32 GTR, as the looks issue isn`t as important over here.

The R33 GTR is also superior to the R32 GTR in many points, but it has the problem to come there with a mid 90. technology/chassis design while weighting much more then the R32 GTR . . . . the R33 GTR in my view misses the technological evolution the R34 GTR benfits from, when you speak 1500kg over sports cars.

Personaly I would choose an R32 GTR over the two others any day, then followed by an R33 GTR and some day if the used prices have droped an R34 GTR.

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
Only you can answer that tbh! I've had an R33GTR (for 18months) and am now about 11 months into an R34GTR.

Driving 'feel' is similar. I think GTRs are famous for feeling light and responsive despite their size. I think the R34 is slightly crisper, but that could be wishful thinking.:p

The R34GTR interior is so much better than any previous model - IMHO. But I am a hater of cheap plastics everywhere. It's not the quality of some Euro models, but it's the best of the three, IMHO.

Gizmos! Gotta love the display in the R34GTR...

Road presence. 1000% higher in the R34 than any other version. Sorry but it's true! I've had more conversations since I got the R34 in 11 months than I had ever in the R33.

So it's personal opinion really - and what you want. Personally I rate the R34GTR as the best I have owned and I love it. But it depends what you want out of a car.

·
Registered
25,671 Posts
32 high spec all day long really...they are really fun to drive.

34 is cool, and looks alot better, one of the reasons why i opted for one, it is more modern inside and of course has a better inteior finish.

34 always gets more attention than the 32, mostly i think because of the playstation status.

but just buy whatever car takes your fancy

are you really that bothered on how it drives day to day? (neither of which i would recommend as a daily commuter car) its mostly the looks isnt it ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
The market dictates the price of all GTRs regardless of the model.
So the prices you see obviousl means that enough people are prepared to pay for the "extras" of a 34GTR (whatever they may be)

The question is ARE YOU ?

Whilst this thread may help you decide YOU need to go and see some cars and drive them or at leat be taken out in one. You may find private sellers a little uncooperative here but theres plenty of dealers who will oblige

You could also probably acheive this simply by turning up at a meet and asking nicely to be taken out in one.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
@Sub Boy; I'm interested in the chassisbraces aswell...Care to post up the link please...? ;)
ULTRA RACING AUSTRALIA - Nissan Braces

There you go......
Been looking at these myself. Someone could maybe organise a group buy on these from UR perhaps?????? I'm sure there are a few folks with 32's who would snap these up.

On the subject in question (R34 Vs rest) I would echo what has been said already regarding personal taste etc. I like the R34 a lot as it has a lot of styling cues from the 32, I dont like the 33 as much as its a wee bit too 'round' for my liking but the 32 hits the mark for me in every way.....lightest of them all, 'square' styling, less creature comforts i.e raw :D. Ever since I saw one new in '89 I knew I had to have an R32GTR. Whilst being in the lucky position to have bought any model of Skyline I went for a good R32 and blew the rest (+a bit extra :D) on an E46M3 :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

:flame::flame:

Seriously though, dont discount a well specced and looked after '32.At the end of the day its all down to YOUR tastes and expectations from a car so make sure you have a VERY good poke around all 3 models and go from there. Just one thing to remember with these cars is that very few are totally std so performance-wise your probably not going to be comapring apples with apples.

TT

1 - 20 of 34 Posts