GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I need some advise on an after market ECU, I need to change my ECU as my current Mines one cannot be mapped by any UK tuners, what I wanted to know what you guys advise as a good upgrade? Most GTR seams to be running a Apexi Power FC or a HKS F-con Pro. Are there different types (models) of these ECU’s ? I want to be running approximately 600 BHP in the future with 2860 -5 in mind. what is a used Apexi Power FC (with out hand held controller) worth? as I am in the position of obtaining one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise I think I am going to go for the Power FC as you can change values on it yourself, are there different types/models of the Power FC? From what I can see there is a D-Jetro model and a standard Power FC? (Correct me if I'm wrong) if so what are the differences?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The D-Jetro model uses Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensors where as the L-Jetro (the "normal" PowerFC) uses Air Flow Meters. If you're not going for BIG power, I'd stick with the normal L-Jetro. You can always change the standard AFM's for Z32/300ZX-TT ones, as these have a larger diameter and are selectable in the PowerFC.

Marc

·
Registered
363 Posts
I run a Vi-PEC ecu in my 9.4 sec street GTR...truely awesome product.

I had a Power FC and an Autronic, both these items struggled to run the car nicely. The drivability suffered badly as the engine runs massive cams and injectors, single throttle body, big intercooler and plenum.

The Vi-PEC runs the engine like a dream, idle control on these things is also superb.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The V88 is an ECU I'd look into if I ever have to change for some reason.
I've got the distributor for Germany around the corner (EvolutionVI on here), but I'm unsure of support for it in the UK?

Marc

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm looking to upgrade my turbos to 2860-5 want to run about 600 BHP will I need to change my AMF's to Z32/300ZX-TT?
Most tuner seam to recommend the the Power FC or F-Con pro not sure about the support with the V88 it mite be simulator to the Mines ECU which no one in the UK will touch

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my turbos to 2860-5 want to run about 600 BHP will I need to change my AMF's to Z32/300ZX-TT?
Most tuner seam to recommend the the Power FC or F-Con pro not sure about the support with the V88 it mite be simulator to the Mines ECU which no one in the UK will touch
Mark Shead from MA Developments is the UK distributor for Vi-PEC V88 ecu's. Very easy to tune...using Quick tune the fuel map tunes itself...look

YouTube - Vipec QuickTune

and this for something with a little more detail

YouTube - ViPEC Autotune Demonstrated by Lightspeed Innovations

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am considering the Vi-PEC ECU it is very impressive, Mark Shead from MA Developments wants £850 plus the VAT per unit. I think this will most likely be a better solution as you can map it yourself and you don't need to change the AMF's to Z32/300ZX-TT.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
i was under the impression that you are better to run a map sensor rather than AFM's when wanting 500+ bhp.

1- they restrict airflow
2- they can cause turbo shuffle
3- if not changing the AFM's for Z32 etc then you need a map sensor as the standard airflow meters are maxed out at 500-550.

Not sure if that is correct as different people have told me different things.

I went out and purchased a HKS Pro to solve all problems.

One other thing tho... Why would you want to map it yourself unless you REALLY know what your doing??

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm not sure about the map sensor replacement I was told different things by different people also, I will probably end up getting the Z32 AFM's. And about the mapping you actually get the software and data lead to map it with the ECU (using Quick tune) so I think It is an option but to be safe I will just get it done from a tuner. Red R Racing did you map your GTR yourself? Would be interesting to know who has mapped a Vi-PEC ECU ? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i had this exact same dilema, i have opted for a haltech platinum 2000 ecu, it uses a map sensor rather than afm's so no restriction's on the air flow
as for mapping it i am having it done for me but when i orderd it, it came with the lead from the haltech to a usb port on a laptop, it also came with the opperating software to download into a p.c and it uses the windows software
so all in all it's going to be a real easy system to tweek (not that i will be doing that)

also i beleive that the haltech system is a really easy system to use

but the down side was the price, it's in the HKS f-con money bracket (£1100) but it is a good system

just my 2p's worth ;)

alex

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
best way maybe to look at it like this.....

Hks pro... 1200 + mapping (but you cant map yourself)

Apexi .... 600?? + afms £500?? = 1100 + mapping (hks being a faster better ecu, launch control, anti lag, switchable maps etc)

This new vipec .. £1100??? + mapping.... what else does it do? who can map it THAT KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING!!???

OR MOTEC .. ££££ The daddy that you can map yourself also. (leave the mapping to the pro tho)

Anyone want to add/correct that?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You can map the Apexi and the Vipec yourself, too.

I'm very unsure about it right now, but somewhere I read something about 140 Euros for one aftermarket Z32 AFM? New! Will try to look it up again.

Marc

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.