GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I recently bought another r34 after regrettably selling my last one over 5 years ago.
It's a standard uk car which I'm currently getting it back to it's best after a previous owner maintaining it on about 50p a year I guess :confused:
One of the items I noticed is that on the 2 hour journey home (it hasn't moved since) the oil temp on the mfd wouldnt move off of 70 degrees apart from in a traffic jam it went to 72 degrees. Has anyone come across this before or any ideas on where to look first?
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I can't remember but do the UK cars come with thermostatically controlled oil coolers? If not then it will be cooling constantly and with the increased air flow when driving it will take forever to get to temperature. When stationary it will have no air flow so temperature will increase.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Uk car's never get hot tbh as they have oil coolers fitted. Where as jap imports warm up fairly quickly

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I did think about the thermostatic cooler, would that mean a new sandwich plate?

I can see what you mean about uk cars running cooler but wouldn't continuous running on oil temps under 70 degress potentially cause damage?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks, I did think about the thermostatic cooler, would that mean a new sandwich plate?

I can see what you mean about uk cars running cooler but wouldn't continuous running on oil temps under 70 degress potentially cause damage?

I also have a uk car r34 gtr too which also has the same thing. Temp hardly rises. I did ask Garth at MGT Racing and I was told all the uk cars run cool. So guessing it should be fine.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had the same issue on my uk spec and I installed an inline thermostatic regulator which really has done the trick. I fitted it at the front of the subframe frame, so now when I do an oil change I can also disconnect a pipe off the thermostatic regulator and use that to drain the oil cooler.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great idea, what tempreture does the stat open? Could please tell me where I might get one?
So it must have been used like this for 14 years. I just find it strange that the gauge starts at 70 and it doesn't even register. I cant remember my old uk being the same but I was younger and probably didnt care :D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi Mikey,

Do you have any futher details, perhaps a link to the part you bought? Maybe some pics of it fitted?

My car takes for ever to get to temp, and I've only ever seen a max oil and water temp of 82c (whilst racing up an Alp!) I've quized Abbey about it but haven't really had any kind of responce, and I've even taken to duct taping over the grill to cover the cooler! Not made much difference if your just potleing arround the countryside

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a great help thanks. So I would need 4 female 12 an fittings. I dont suppose you would know what the hose size it is tothe cooler? so I get the correct fittings.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Glad to help.
Just one thing and I'm sure you were going to do this anyway but just to be sure.
You will need to completely remove the oil lines from the block to the oil cooler and clean them out once you have cut them to remove all the bits of rubber and metal from inside the pipe.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tip:thumbsup:
I think really i need to change all fittings and the ends of all the braided hose under the car as they've begun to break up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a uk 33 gtr and it's the same.
I plug the air intake for the oil cooler with a piece of closed cell foam.
Still a bit slow getting up to temp but now runs at about 80-85c in winter and around 95 in summer. If I'm going out for a little "play" I just pull the foam out.
I do like the idea of the inline thermostat though. May have to look into one of those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts