GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there i am a new owner of an r34 and new in the forum and i would like to know what kind of maintenance for a standard r34, will be necessary after the 60-70.000 miles from your experience , i have download the service manual from the forum and the scheduled maintenance but i would like to know more from people who had the experience to own a standard r34. For example are there any with 100.000 miles or more with no major requirements or problems?

Eftychios

·
6,821 Posts
Engine rebuild . .;):chuckle:

Mate all depends how the car was driven before and how it was serviced!

Try this:
- Oil Filter and oil service
- coolant service
- spark plugs check
- brake pads and discs check (use some break cleaner if really dirty)

then if you don't know anything about the car at all:
- Mission oil service (then hope the color looks the way it should)
- injectors checked
- emission test (as your car is standard on cat, it shouldn't have values of a car without cat)

at last if every thing is fine , get the car remapped for EU fuel, will let it live longer . .

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gtrlux
Thanks for your reply
Do they really need a rebuild so soon? most of the cars i have and needed an engine rebuild where after 150.000 miles, all i know about the car is that everything is stock on it even the exhaust, is a uk spec and has around 12 services in middlehurst garage.

Do the uk spec need a remapped?
will apexi power fc will do the job?

·
6,821 Posts
gtrlux
Thanks for your reply
Do they really need a rebuild so soon? most of the cars i have and needed an engine rebuild where after 150.000 miles, all i know about the car is that everything is stock on it even the exhaust, is a uk spec and has around 12 services in middlehurst garage.

Do the uk spec need a remapped?
will apexi power fc will do the job?
If it's a UK spec then of course it not need a remapp (as it was sold in the UK).
Basicly no GTR engine will absolutely need to be rebuild at any time, if cared and driven with reason. It all depends on the car.

But if you have 12 service entries in the book at MH. then no worries.
Why not go to MH. and get a big check done?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gtrlux
i will do so as soon as possible but for now i just had to ask in general people who own this kind of cars so i can have a general idea about r34 quality wise and problems in general, i have read a lot in general about gearbox problems g sensor problems due to hard and extensive use, but none to say anything about standard stock cars having any factory problems, so i think is perfect car with no problems if maintained and serviced regularly. I just hope that it will not start asking for thinks like some of the German cars after 8-9 years of use , dont get me wrong about the German cars they are very good cars but the Japanese according to reliability and long lasting are the best.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My 34 has only 16.000miles on the odometer, but in general i can't understand that 60-70.000miles would be a problem if a car is in approx standard spec and has been properly maintained.
These are quality cars and your car should give you many problemfree miles if you dont get bit by the tuning bug:thumbsup:

But check the underside of the car for rust, these are not new cars anymore.

Terje.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Terje

Thats what i think 2. will see. Now about tuning bug i think i already got it but seriously thinking to keep this baby classic or maybe an extra engine with mines spec as an extra for some time fun maybe considered will will see in the future. about the underside rust i think the uk spec cars had some kind of protection is that true?

Eftychios

·
Registered
889 Posts
Terje

Thats what i think 2. will see. Now about tuning bug i think i already got it but seriously thinking to keep this baby classic or maybe an extra engine with mines spec as an extra for some time fun maybe considered will will see in the future. about the underside rust i think the uk spec cars had some kind of protection is that true?

Eftychios

An extra engine built vith a high spec is a good idea indeed.
I would not consider serious power uppgrades to an engine vith high milage unless the engine was checked over and rebuilt first.
The tuning bug is extremely fun but very expensive:eek:

I dont know if the uk spec cars vas treated to some kind of underseal when new. But after nine years the first thing i would check is the underside of the car.
Serious rust attack is more expensive than anything to fix properly, so a good underseal with penetrating oil in all chassis joints is at least in my world essential.

Terje.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts