GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to get back into the Jap car scene after a bad experience with an RX7 led me to abandon modified motors for the last 3 years.

I've had my eye on getting a 370Z for a while, they're getting rave reviews, i love the styling, and they seem like a good base for an everyday modded car. But then I realised that the fabled R34 GTR was in my reach and it had the added practicality of rear seats.

So basically what im interested in finding out from you guys is how are they to live with as an everyday driver, and whats the BHP limit when tuning these cars and still wanting good street manners, especially at the low end. I don't want to get a ridiculously big turbo and lose all power in the low revs, but i am interested in tuning to increase power but keep it driveable.

Is the GTR for me?

Regards,

Dean.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You have to ask yourself this.

#1 Am I prepared to spend money modifying it?
#2 Or am I happy with it straight out of the box?

If you answered #1 then R34 GTR
If you answered #2 then 370Z

·
R35 Section manager
11,052 Posts
2 different cars-1 is a performance car and the other is a 370z.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am willing to modify, but i just really want to know how high i can go powerwise and still have a nice daily driver?

I used to have an S14a 200sx about 5 years ago, I only upped the power up to about 300bhp but it remained a really nice car to drive.

Is it possible to have a GTR thats say 400bhp everyday, and maybe 550-600 when i want it to be?

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Providing you don't go too lairy with the turbos/cams/clutch/fuel pumps etc and are prepared to stomach the fuel & servicing bills I don't see why a stage 1 or 2 GTR couldn't be used as a daily driver with 500ish.

Obviously an 34 is a lot older then a 370z.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I am willing to modify, but i just really want to know how high i can go powerwise and still have a nice daily driver?

I used to have an S14a 200sx about 5 years ago, I only upped the power up to about 300bhp but it remained a really nice car to drive.

Is it possible to have a GTR thats say 400bhp everyday, and maybe 550-600 when i want it to be?
stock gtr with exhaust, airfilter and ecu remap will get you around 380-400bhp. YOu could do a few more minor mods to get you to around 450bhp but 550-600 requires considerably more effort i.e changing a lot of parts.

I would think your best bet is building a car that is specced for 450-500bhp and then having a daily setting at around 400bhp, and then pushing it up if you wish. If it were me though, i'd build to 450bhp and just keep it that way permanently.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
2 different cars-1 is a performance car and the other is a 370z.
Err how does the GTR get made out to be a performance car and the 370Z doesn't?

Tsukuba lap records - FastestLaps.com

The 370Z's time isn't amongst a bunch of slouches.... much more modern car, will be more reliable, more chuckable etc. I'm not saying I'd take the 370Z over an R34 necessarily but I'd have to have a good hard think about it if they were the same price.

·
R35 Section manager
11,052 Posts
Err how does the GTR get made out to be a performance car and the 370Z doesn't?

Tsukuba lap records - FastestLaps.com

The 370Z's time isn't amongst a bunch of slouches.... much more modern car, will be more reliable, more chuckable etc. I'm not saying I'd take the 370Z over an R34 necessarily but I'd have to have a good hard think about it if they were the same price.

From stock they both are pretty average:wavey:-theres alot of weight to carry, but a tuned 34 would easily deal with a tuned 370z on the track or road IMHO.:cool:

Both nice cars but think there would be a difference when push comes to shove:cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,847 Posts
I think for a daily driver you're better off with the newer car tbh...it's just going to be more reliable.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
From stock they both are pretty average:wavey:-theres alot of weight to carry, but a tuned 34 would easily deal with a tuned 370z on the track or road IMHO.:cool:

Both nice cars but think there would be a difference when push comes to shove:cool:
Performance car tends to define genre of the car itself, not modding potential - and to be fair the Zs go quite well even when modded a bit!

·
R35 Section manager
11,052 Posts
Performance car tends to define genre of the car itself, not modding potential - and to be fair the Zs go quite well even when modded a bit!

A mate of mine has the 350z so I know enough about them-never berr in a 370z but know there smaller than the 350z and they have looked at the suspension.

I'm sure the 370z is a great car-but its no Gtr:)

·
6,821 Posts
From the driving pleasure side the 370Z wins hands down . . . the car is just fast as hell, handles sublime, has a monster engine , great sound on sakura exhaust, and most of all is more reliable.

The R34s with comparable power and handling are expensive and rare outside of japan . .if you want a quality reliable unite.

Wait until the used 370Zs drop a bit in price in japan (Nissans fall down the stairs very quick over here) and anyway at the same time R34 GTRs won't get more expenive in japan as well . . . .

Just wait a few months and go for what comes up first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spent most of last night perusing these pages and Im gonna throw a wildcard out there. The new R35 GTR.

Im not 100% sure i can warrant the servicing costs and the initial cost of the car really for what Im going to be using it for, i dont have track days in mind (or so i say now), and to be honest if i did get one, i'd probably pick up a little everyday runner like another S14a.

In your opinion tho, does the R35 warrant the extra dollar? I know it s a best on the track, but does it rule the road too?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
well I own a R35 GTR, tuned R33 GTR (around 450BHP) and wife stock 350z roadstar. I drive them all.

the 35 is very quick and is little numb until you get up to speed, gearbox is great
the 33 is little old, quick and lots of fun drinks a little more than the 35

the 350z is fun but feels slow with no turbo rush, with the new transmission on thw 370 it would be better but i miss the performance of the other two when i drive the 350

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that Robbie.

Would you say the stock R35 is as quick as the modded R33 and more economical? I think if i bought the R35 i would do very little to it while it was still under warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts