GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Anyone is using redline gearbox oil in their R34 gtr gearbox?

Which one should be the best one for the R34 GTR? superlightweight shockproof? lightweight shockproof? MTL? MT90?

Now I'm using motul 75w90, but the gearshift when cold and in normal driving
it's not as good as warm.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Why not use ATF as recommended by Nissan?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atf is not really recommended by nissan, on the uk owners manual it reccommends 75w90, and DCD sais that when his R34 GTR is serviced in Japan from nissan they use 75w90.

The atf was only recommended from middlehurst and is used in the toyota supra gearbox that should be similar to the R34GTR gearbox.

The redline ultralightweight shockproof should be similar to a 75w90 but with the friction similar to a atf.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's recommended to use V160 gear oil from Toyota (made by Castrol) in the Supra. Other oil seems to eat the seals.

Just read that this has just been discontinued by Toyota though.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The V160 is a special atf,
but what to use in the R34 GTR gearbox?

redline suggest superlightweight shockproof for the R34 GTR gearbox on the australian site, that is basically a transmission competition oil 75w90 but with a lower friction similar to atf, or they have the racing atf that can also be used on manual transmission that work with atf, or the MTL that is a 70w80, that is more fluid than a 75w90 and should be better for shifting.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Well like Nick M has said, Toyota use V160 ATF, and from what i've read and heard, Nissan recommended ATF TypeD21065, which is made by Esso.

I've even seen the container somewhere with the Nissan part# on it and Esso emblem.

Also BMW recommend some type of Mobil SHC ATF for the M5 E39 and M3 E46 which are both equipped with the Getrag 6 speed box, and the Supra.

Also i've heard that the UK manual for the R34 wasn't changed where the oils and capacities were concerned. They just copied it from the previous R33 manual...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought that maybe the uk manual was just wrong using the R33 gtr specifications.

Is your gearbox very smooth or is it a little bit rough in normal driving?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
you could say its a little rough in normal driving and when cold.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I NEVER would put any Redline oil in my previous Mkiv or my current R34GTR and the reason for it is that the oil destroyed several gearboxes on Mkiv.
New Page 2
So you can put whatever you want in the gearbox but dont say you havent been warned.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Just out of curiosity what do you use gtrsam?..

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hehe as it is now i havent really made up my mind but iam thinking of getting v160 same as i had in the Mkiv or maybe Motul. But iam still searching for the perfect oil but one thing is completly certain no Redline in my gearbox.

Just out of curiosity what do you use gtrsam?..

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Keep me informed as i'd like to know what you finally decide on.

I asked Toyota about the V160 oil, but no one their knew anything about it!!! Do you have a part number for the V160? Is it stupidly priced?

I also had a look at the oil used by BMW for the E46 M3 and E39 M5 which both use the Getrag 6 speeder. They recommend Mobil SHC oil, which is a fully synthetic type of ATF

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hehe as it is now i havent really made up my mind but iam thinking of getting v160 same as i had in the Mkiv or maybe Motul. But iam still searching for the perfect oil but one thing is completly certain no Redline in my gearbox.
Why is there always someone to scupper my plans? I was all ready to buy some Redline lightweight shockproof until I read that.
My gearbox is crunchy when gunning it, in almost every change. It's fine when driving normally.
What oil should I buy? :confused:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
In my R34 I used the Redline lightweight shockproof before. Only changed to Castrol cause they sponsor me with it. :) No problems at all with the Redline oil.

shade: I used the heavy shockproof in my R33´s gearbox and it´s never been better. That´s a tryed and proven combination that I´d recommend everyone with a R33 GT-R to use.

/P

·
Registered
585 Posts
Its the R34 GTR with the 6-speed getrag gearbox same as MKIV which is very picky at what oil you use. In a R33 it doesnt matter use whatever you like (as long it fullfills the specification from Nissan) and it will probably work fine but too use heavy shock proof Redline oil in a R34GTR is plain stupied or maybe you want a new gearbox ;-). There was several gearboxes in the Supra community that went kaboom after they used Redline oil due to some additivs that is supposed to fix/lubricate gaskets and so in the gearbox apperently it doesnt work that well and of course Redline didnt pay anything......
As i said before you can use whatever you want in your gearbox but dont say that i havent warned you, this regading the R34GTR 6-speed getrag gearbox.

In my R34 I used the Redline lightweight shockproof before. Only changed to Castrol cause they sponsor me with it. :) No problems at all with the Redline oil.

shade: I used the heavy shockproof in my R33´s gearbox and it´s never been better. That´s a tryed and proven combination that I´d recommend everyone with a R33 GT-R to use.

/P

·
Registered
585 Posts
The v160 oil is hard to get, i use to order it from the US and as you said its not cheap its like €22/litre but i have indications that there are some oil from Nissan aswell which is probably the same but i will get back when i know more.The v160 is also ATF and rumored to be made by either Castrol or Esso.

Keep me informed as i'd like to know what you finally decide on.

I asked Toyota about the V160 oil, but no one their knew anything about it!!! Do you have a part number for the V160? Is it stupidly priced?

I also had a look at the oil used by BMW for the E46 M3 and E39 M5 which both use the Getrag 6 speeder. They recommend Mobil SHC oil, which is a fully synthetic type of ATF

·
Registered
585 Posts
Dont want to start any panic if you have a R33 GTR with a 5-speed gearbox by all means use the Redline oil but on the other hand if you have a R34GTR with 6-speed getrag dont use it, or be prepared to buy a new gearbox in the near future.
Why is there always someone to scupper my plans? I was all ready to buy some Redline lightweight shockproof until I read that.
My gearbox is crunchy when gunning it, in almost every change. It's fine when driving normally.
What oil should I buy? :confused:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
As i said before you can use whatever you want in your gearbox but dont say that i havent warned you, this regading the R34GTR 6-speed getrag gearbox.
Just to clarify, I didn´t use the Heavy Shockproof Redline oil in my R34, it was the LIGHTWEIGHT Shockproof. I´ve been advised NOT to use the Heavy Shockproof before so I was already aware that it wasn´t a good thing to use in the Getrag 6-speed box.

In the 5-speed R32/R33 box on the other hand, there´s hardly any better oil you can use than the Heavy Shockproof if you ask me. :)

/P

·
Registered
585 Posts
Here is an update found this when i was searching some old posts
Supraforums.com - View Single Post - Put royal purple synchromax in my 6speed
FAQ: Oil, Fluid, Interval, Capacity, Steering, Brake, Coolant, Diff, Engine. - The mkiv Supra Owners Club
Apprently so is the v160 used in the 6-speed getrag gearboxes discontinued, it was made by Esso and was called "Esso ATF Dextron D-21065" from what i have found out reading a lot of threads regarding this people have used the following gearbox oils in their R34GTR's with luck so far.

"According to Esso, D21065 is a "qualification code" for Dextron II.
>
> 'Officially', I'd recommend putting either Toyota V160 or Dextron II (if
> you can obtain it) in there, and do it as soon as you can. If you
> decide that the risk of using fluids that are not officially recommended
> by Toyota is acceptable, several have reported non-failure using Royal
> Purple gear oil, Royal Purple #9, and Mobil 1 Synthetic Dextron III.
> Non-failure has also been reported by users of Redline MT-90, but
> Redline ATF has caused bushing(s) to over-swell in the V160.
> Personally, I'm experimenting with an ATF called "Aamco Synthetic Blend
> Mercon V", since Esso recommended this fluid as an acceptable
> 'currently-available' replacement for their old D21065 fluid. I'll post
> to the list after at least a full year of regular use without failure.
>
A list of oils that seems to be working but no guarantee, its up to you to use them.
AAMCO Mercon V ATF
Esso ATF Dextron D-21065 aka V160 if you can find it
Mobil Mercon V synthetic Blend ATF
Royal Purple #9
Mobil 1 synthetic Dextron III
Redline MT90
ATF Dextron II

Good luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts