GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup:
Due to Alex now being busier and busier with driving tuition, he and Ryan kindly asked us if we would take on the task of finishing off this fine track focused machine.
So here's a few sneaky peak pics of the day it came in, (or night :D) felt bit like a covert mission! :)






We'll keep updates coming so that you can follow it's progress from now through to the end of the build.
:thumbsup:
bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,400 Posts
Bobby, you'll be needing a bigger workshop soon! Be looking forward to seeing this develop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys very excited about this one!
We have unit number 2 Gareth bud!
:thumbsup:
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok so as promised some more pics and words of the progress to date on this awesome project! :D











The roll cage looks absolutely awesome!!! I can only imagine the extra stiffness this thing has added to the chassis. This thing is going to handle like a train on rails!!!:runaway::bowdown1:





Ryan has spec'd some great parts for this track car. Ikeya Formula, Nismo, Alcon, all track focussed and very, very capable!







Without the aero the car looks quite elegant, like a slimline supermodel, but when you add the bumpers and carbon and it becomes the mistress!!!:squintdan








We decided to protect the whole underside with Epoxy resin, it's all very well being shiny on the underside but if it won't stop the kitty litter then it's not tough enough!:thumbsup:





After the first coat the whole car was seam sealed before the second coat of expoxy resin was applied.





We also protected all of the rose jointed Ikeya Formula suspension arms with rubber boots and silkolene race grease.








The with the rubber boot in place we then inject the whole boot with extra grease for water tight protection.





Underside totally protected.:wavey:





Checking everything over and torqueing up every nut and bolt.







We made some nice gaskets too for the beautiful NISMO dampers, don't want any galvanic corrosion going on in the future.



To be continued.....soon.

:thumbsup:
bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,586 Posts
Yum! Still waiting for you to come to NZ Bobster! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like!!! You get the flight, provide the booze and food Chris and I'll get the tips, least I can do bud! :p
:thumbsup:
bobster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,586 Posts
Lol! You're on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update.

Been busy going through all of the boxes of parts brought over to fit to the track 34.



I cant tell you how fortunate we are to have another stripped 34 right next to Ryan's car for reference, it makes the identifying of parts so much easier!:clap:





So we decided to start with the loom, its all a bit chicken and egg with this sort of empty car rebuild but the loom are the veins of the car and
everything else relies on it so we set to work refitting this first.





Now a couple of things, the original under dash loom was fire damaged, luckily Ryan managed to find a good used one to replace the damaged one,
(hens teeth would be a good way of describing finding these!:D)
The other thing was this was never going to be a straight forward fit up as the car now has a monster cage.





The cage was made without the loom in the car so a lot of the connectors that had specific places to fit,
(The OEM looms are also a required length to accommodate these positions).
So we found that now a lot of the standard locations are covered by the bars and gussets of the cage.
So in this instance we had to be pretty inventive/creative with our thinking to make the standard loom fit.


You can see here the passengers side section where we've had to fit the loom behind the cage, some custom
stainless steel brackets were made up to help accommodate this in the cleanest way possible.
A custom bracket will have to be made for the ECU as the standard location is not available any more.




We also started to refit the heater matrix into the car.
The Aircon access to the engine bay had been plated when the cage was fitted so we removed the aircon core from the matrix and blanked/sealed the outlets.





Going through the loom, removing things like unused electrical gadgets and immobilizers.








Starting to come together now. As I said before important to know what bit comes before what bit and in which order too.:thumbsup:




Brake, clutch and accelerator pedals and their associated parts fitted.




Some of the very large loom connectors, (seen here) just wouldn't fit where they were supposed to fit in their original locations behind the cage
so we had to split the connector block holders and make custom stainless cage mounted brackets to fit them neatly and out of the way of the drivers footwork/comfort area.











Much, much more to come!!!





:thumbsup:
bob
 
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Top