GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i think my Getrag transmission on my R34 GTR is a little bit damaged.
I can hear it in gear 2 to 5! In third gear the shifter is vibrating.
In second gear i hear a loud noise. Even if the clutch is pushed or not.

All the noises are there when the car is on the road. So when I drive an the second gear is in, the noise is realy loud.
Also in third, fourth, and fifth.

When i´m coasting than the noises are gone.
Is a gear in, than the noise is back. Does not matter if clutch is pushed or not.

Maybe you have an idea, what I can do.
Or you know somebody who repair Getrag transmissions,...

Thanks from Germany

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was like that when I bought the car 6 months ago.
First I did was change the oil. The old was not good!

After that I thought it was a little better but it was not!

The clutch is ok, because the car speed up normal. And there are no wrong noises from the clutch.

The oil I used is the right one, I talked to GETRAG,...

So any idea? I think it is the beginning of a damage

When normal driving is also a little hard to shift in second and third gear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,

i think my Getrag transmission on my R34 GTR is a little bit damaged.
I can hear it in gear 2 to 5! In third gear the shifter is vibrating.
In second gear i hear a loud noise. Even if the clutch is pushed or not.

All the noises are there when the car is on the road. So when I drive an the second gear is in, the noise is realy loud.
Also in third, fourth, and fifth.

When i´m coasting than the noises are gone.
Is a gear in, than the noise is back. Does not matter if clutch is pushed or not.

Maybe you have an idea, what I can do.
Or you know somebody who repair Getrag transmissions,...

Thanks from Germany

I can do this for you, i have been rebuilding a few recently, usualy Third sync issue's, also can do OSGiken rebuilds.

greetz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the Nismo speedo shows around 50000km

I think drivers before used the wrong oil,...

So there is a chance to rebuild those?
How much is it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
costs depend on how much syncro's have been messed up,

have seen more then wone messed up in the R34 gtrags.

usualy the mess andassembly or worn out and some where literly cracked on the inner ring.

you can always pm or call me.

greetz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thank you, where are you from?

Maybe I have time in winter this year, but I´m not sure, because I have a lot of work to do on our house, at work,...

So you mean the transmission is damaged, or is it possible that the shiftbox also is damaged (not the Getrag transmission, I think maybe the one under the shifter) "I can´t say it in english"?!? .

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
ironic how this transmission is "bulletproof" in a Supra, but does have issues from time to time in the Skyline. Probably because the Skyline doesn't have the power safety fuse that Supras have, called "lack of traction" :chuckle:

·
Registered
271 Posts
R34 Getrag

Hi

I've posted on this before, not got the link but search thingy should find it. I thought my getrag had broke, but after stripping the box and finding nothing wrong, it was the clutch and flywheel combo I had fitted (nismo single coppermix)

These gearboxes can be very noisey but are very good, at idle it sounds like a bag of bolts, when loaded up with torque below 2K rpm in any gear it sounds rough as (does yours sound worse even higher up the rev range?)

Do you know the exact make of clutch you running??

Cheers Gav

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey boosty frag doch mal bei Getrag nach ist doch gleich bei dir um die Ecke. Da weißt du das es gute Arbeit ist und die genau wissen was sie machen. Und Garantie hast du auch.

Das Getriebe ins Ausland schicken und wieder zurück würde ich nicht machen. Ist doch nur ne Stunde von dir ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey boosty frag doch mal bei Getrag nach ist doch gleich bei dir um die Ecke. Da weißt du das es gute Arbeit ist und die genau wissen was sie machen. Und Garantie hast du auch.

Das Getriebe ins Ausland schicken und wieder zurück würde ich nicht machen. Ist doch nur ne Stunde von dir ;)
Say What??:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I run my getrag with an os giken R3c clutch. Sounds likes its shagged on idle due to not running a dual mass flywheel.

You can here is banging on idle in this vid i done just to prove to a couple of mates that my car actually runs :chuckle:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i396.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/Maddenr32/95fc9234.flv">

I had to rebuild mine as it had snapped the synrco on 3rd but that would only cause a crunch.

Sounds to me as if you have chipped a tooth of a gear , have no oil in it or the bearings have given up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I run my getrag with an os giken R3c clutch. Sounds likes its shagged on idle due to not running a dual mass flywheel.

You can here is banging on idle in this vid i done just to prove to a couple of mates that my car actually runs :chuckle:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i396.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/Maddenr32/95fc9234.flv">
That sounds near enough the same as mine on tickover. Glad you put that up I keep needing reassurance that is how it should sound:p

·
Registered
136 Posts
ironic how this transmission is "bulletproof" in a Supra, but does have issues from time to time in the Skyline. Probably because the Skyline doesn't have the power safety fuse that Supras have, called "lack of traction" :chuckle:
I thought it's because the Supra has a different Getrag 6-speed?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talked to GETRAG, the guy there is now searching for spare parts. They are hard to find. :confused:

They also look for a company who can rebuild the transmission.

They say "Do not drive anymore with sounds like this. It is extremly dangerous,..."

The sound of the R32 is not the same as mine. Mine is not that hard at idle! There is no noise of the transmission at idle.
They say on mine are syncros damaged and maybe a bit more

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On Monday i will send the transmission to GETRAG. They can rebuild it. So in the next few days and weeks i will see what was damaged and how much the repair is.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Best place to get parts from is Toyota mate. Same gearbox with only a few differances. If you have damaged the gear part on the snyro you will have to cut and chop a supra and r34 gear to make it work. :(

Nightmare with no spares about.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts