GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how are you supposed to jack up the rear of the v-spec? I cant get under the side of the car because it has the nismo side skirts.

There is however a round metal plate with a large dimple on the underside that is directly below the diff. Is this somesort of jacking point? Is there some sort of tool/jack that locks this onto the diff ?

At the moment i drive it onto bricks, but if the car was not running how would i get the car off the ground?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes that round dome is a jacking point that has a plate behind it that mates to the diff.
Dont worry when the diffuser moves before the plate touches the diff!

I have used this many times

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there must be 1-2 inch gap between the plate and the diff tho. Will the carbon bend that much without breaking? Or am i missing part of the dome bit? Should it have a rubber or something that comes in contact with the diff?

Anyone got a photo of there's?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes that round dome is a jacking point that has a plate behind it that mates to the diff.
Dont worry when the diffuser moves before the plate touches the diff!

I have used this many times
DO NOT USE AS JACKING POINT!!!!!!
The metal disc is there as a ballast weight to keep the carbon fibre from vibrating at high speed & to keep it down for the airflow.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DO NOT USE AS JACKING POINT!!!!!!
The metal disc is there as a ballast weight to keep the carbon fibre from vibrating at high speed & to keep it down for the airflow.
well thats just thrown a spanner in the works! Where do you jack your car up from then?

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
maybe drive the rear tyre's up onto some small plank's of wood so you can raise the rear end up a bit more and give yourself a clearer view?
noticed you've changed exhaust's,and got a new fence matt,lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes, there is a gap between the diffuser and the bottom of the diff.

But someone told me that there is a metal plate in between the carbon diffuser and the bottom of the diff. Made that way so that it could be used as a lifting point.

Get on your knees with a torch and find out if there is such a sandwich plate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just drop the diffuser. It's only a handfull of 12mm bolts that can all be reached from around the sides/rear of the car. Ratcheting wrench makes quick work of it. IIRC there's 8 bolts in total. If you don't feel like doing that, jack it up left/right progressively from the forward subframe mounts on the rear subframe. You can get to those with the diffuser on.

2000 GTR with nismo skirts and diffuser like yours.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Well I've always used it as a jacking point when I want to lift both rears.

The way it's shaped to match the jack below and meet the diff above I'm pretty certain that it's designed to be used for jacking. However on my car it's pretty close the the diff to start with so it doesn't deflect the diffuser much in use. Maybe your diffuser is a little low?

Jack it up slowly while shining a torch through from above to check it all lines up ok and doesn't bend the diffuser too much.

But if your worried jack one side at a time. It's also worth making up some hardwood blocks with a groove if your are going to use the sill jacking points so you don't bend the welded seam.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's a jacking point. End of.

Mine is also an inch or so below the diff but I have had the diffuser off so might be how I've put it back on, the reaer brackets need a persuasive push to mate up when bolting on.

Problem I have is my jack doesn't go low enough to get under it. But I did use it when I was on axle stands and it flexs fine, shows you the quality of real carbon fibre compared to the [email protected] you can buy aftermarket. :chairshot

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sod it , im going to go and try now. Back in 10 mins.

edit.. just give it a go and the jack will only get half way under the car so no chance of jacking from there without driving on bricks/wood etc.

I have taken a couple of pics so will post them up as i think im missing something from off the top of this 'jacking' point. To me it seems like the carbon will have to bend way to far to meet the diff.

O and emil, ye new fence, will be a new drive soon also! And ye new exhaust, nice and quiet. You been parking on my drive and inspecting my car for me or something ?? LOL.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

as you can see, there is about a 2 inch gap between the diff and the jacking point. The exaust is in the way to move the carbon defuser up any more. But i took it off not to long back to paint the brackets and non are bent so must be sitting in the correct place.

Am i missing a bit off the jacking thing that locates onto the bottom of the diff?

And you can see the diffuser sits correct around the exhaust. And no the exhaust is not bent. I have more than one exhaust and they all sit like this.

There is only a couple of inch between the car and the floor so it would need to be a super low jack to get under the car.

I have tried to use a scissor jack etc on the cill jacking points put the nismo kit stops you using that also.

I have no problems jacking the car when i drive it on bricks, but how the hell do you get it in the air if its not running????????????

·
Registered
428 Posts
I didn't trust mine as a jacking point.

So i used the standard jack (what a good idea) to get under the nismo skirts as there is a cut out where it fits. Then either put wood under the wheels or carry on with trolley jack. JOB DONE... NO RISK NO DAMAGE!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I didn't trust mine as a jacking point.

So i used the standard jack (what a good idea) to get under the nismo skirts as there is a cut out where it fits. Then either put wood under the wheels or carry on with trolley jack. JOB DONE... NO RISK NO DAMAGE!
this should give you enough clearance to use the diff jacking point. or if you're brave lift one side up enough for a jack stand to fit under the other jacking point behind the opposite skirt, then use the floor jack to lift the whole thing up from under the diff

how low is the jacking point off the ground?

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
i drove past a few time's,and i admit drove past last night on purpose just to see the R34 :p,
still think you should drive it up onto some small slab's or something,i've got plenty of things that are suitable to drive on,if you need any,let me know

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pmsl, i tend to drive past it a few times in the day myself! (more so to check its still there)

Anyway, i have plenty of stuff to get the thing in the air, i even have a air jack that works on a big cushion.

Im more trying to work out how to get the car off the floor if its broken and wont move for some reason.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Im more trying to work out how to get the car off the floor if its broken and wont move for some reason.[/QUOTE]

What about the standard jack..........It most be up there with er jacks and stuff

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i cant get the standard jack under with the nismo side skirts. My car must be sitting a bit lower than others i guess. I dont want to mess with the suspension as it was set up by nismo/omori factory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts