GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ive been thinking about upgrading to a gtr for a while now. I have a STI 3 RA currently and am selling it to finance a GTR. The only thing that is concerning me is the costs involved and weather the difference between a GTS and GTR is viable. Im sure this has been exhausted in the past but two of my associates have skylines-mainly the reason why im getting one- one has a R34 GTR-LOOKS :cool:- his is running 330-350 bhp at about 0.8 bar, while the other has a R33 GTS-T which is running 365 bhp at 1.2 bar. now the other day we went out for a drive on one of our private courses and the skylines had a run with each other. to my amazement at motorway speeds (80mph +) the GTS-T would have the GTR, by the time they were at 3 figure speeds the GTS was about 2 car lengths ahead......:eek:
is it worth getting a GTR if a GTS at around the same power will be just as fast in a straight line?..... and also is this a one-off or is a GTS-T just as fast in a straight line with similar tune? its just that "normally" whoever you ask they say that the GTS-T is uncomparable to the GTR in a straight line or any aspect...... any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,035 Posts
R4ALLY, do a search mate. This has been covered sooooo many times. It is rare to get an unbiased opinion.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
COSSYCam said:
GTS or GTR.....Why have cotton when you can have silk?
Yeah, excellent reply. I love the way you went into depth about the pro's and cons of both models.....****ing A!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think another thing yuo need to be asking is, R33 GTST = £3000+ or the R34 GTR = £29,000+ for standard versions:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys, i think the GTR looks absolutely awesome. if i get a GTR it will be a R33 the only thing i couldn't understand is how the GTS-T was faster than the GTR???

·
Registered
287 Posts
The GTS-T is alot lighter, has less transmission losses and MORE power than the GTR. Of course the GTS would be slightly quicker in a straight line once rolling!!! Its not Rocket Science!

As Mattb said the cars you are comparing are vastly different in value so it seems a strange comparison as well....

R32 and R33 GTR's are awesome value right in my opinion :) R34's still alot more money and I can see them coming off... which is not good news for me!!! :bawling:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry guys i wasn't trying to compare the r34 to the r33 was just bewildered by the ressult. but looking back on it your right it is common sense if its lighter it will be faster. i followed your advice and checke the searcehs and it looks like a GTS is too much work to get over 400 bhp, wheras the GTR is relatively a stage 1 car at 400ish bhp. so it looks as though that extra little bit is worth it.
I've seen a few R33 GTR'S-modified -going for about 1.4-1.5 million jpy, in the auctions, with everything it should cost me about 11k. an example of this would be a 1995/6 450ish bhp GTR with about 40-60 thousand miles on the clock. is that price worth it or is it better to pay that much here?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
at this moment in time I wouldn't bother importing a GTR to be honest. There are some fantastic ones for sale on this forum. You know the history, they are clean, well priced and you could have it in your driveway by tomorrow night if you wanted to.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great advice from Mattb in my opinion....

Just seen your sig Mattb... in my case its true! my Cossie is alot faster than my Skyline :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Porkie said:
Great advice from Mattb in my opinion....

Just seen your sig Mattb... in my case its true! my Cossie is alot faster than my Skyline :chuckle:
Oh so it's you I keep bloody hearing about is it :mad: You have a lots of friends I'll give you that :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
COSSYCam said:
GTS or GTR.....Why have cotton when you can have silk?
:chuckle:

I find cotton boxers to be far superior:D :clap:

Not sure what that says about my Skyline choice:p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would be interesting to compare a GTS and GTR side by side to see how much difference there is. Got a GTS-t (R33) myself, and so far, have only driven the GTS's - mine, another R33 GTS-t and a 32. Be quite interesting on the handling stakes, as I find the rwd can be a bit of a handful at times (wet, corners, turbo kicking in etc), so would be interested to see what the 4wd is like............. anyone daft enough to let me loose in their GTR? :chuckle: :chuckle: Well it was worth a go!! :D Have to agree, either way, they are still skylines, so therefore still amazing!!! :bowdown1: :bowdown1:

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Just buy the GTS-t, and spend the difference in cost on tuning.

Dare I say that the number of highly strung RB25's still running far out-weighs the number of RB26's in the same boat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts