GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...without ever having driven one first? Just wondered as I’m finding it hard to arrange a test drive. I headed over to HJA yesterday to drive that lovely grey car but the roads were wet/muddy and those guys don’t let the cars out unless it’s dry. They have them on ramps polishing underneath so I understand why!

I know how I want and imagine a 500bhp r34 to drive but am reluctant to bite the bullet and advertise my Tuscan for sale until I know it’s what I really want. I also don’t want to waste anyone’s time. Tricky.

·
Registered
147 Posts
...without ever having driven one first? Just wondered as I?m finding it hard to arrange a test drive. I headed over to HJA yesterday to drive that lovely grey car but the roads were wet/muddy and those guys don?t let the cars out unless it?s dry. They have them on ramps polishing underneath so I understand why!

I know how I want and imagine a 500bhp r34 to drive but am reluctant to bite the bullet and advertise my Tuscan for sale until I know it?s what I really want. I also don?t want to waste anyone?s time. Tricky.
you've got a pm.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
I did that with a 33 and the first time I drove a skyline full stop was 7 months after I bought one, all along I wondered what the fuss was about. I went to pick it up where it had been worked on for 6 months.

How much work does hja do on the cars they sell? They do a lot of tarting up I take it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They use RK tuning in south essex for the mechanical work. Other than polishing I***8217;m not sure about the cosmetic side. The r34 I sat in was immaculate, as was their £95k NUR. The silver 33 was lovely too...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I bought mine without ever driving or being a passenger in any generation of Skyline. its a special place to sit (especially by Japanese car standards) and even after two and a half years of ownership it still excites every time i go for a drive. Having said all of that you are coming from a Tuscan which is about as nuts as it gets :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
I did that with a 33 and the first time I drove a skyline full stop was 7 months after I bought one, all along I wondered what the fuss was about. I went to pick it up where it had been worked on for 6 months.

How much work does hja do on the cars they sell? They do a lot of tarting up I take it?
Bought my 32 from HJA. Their stock is second to none, of course they always ensure their cars are presented at their very best but it's never a case of taking a tatty car and sprucing it up.

The finest examples always.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bought without driving but went on a 10 minute trip as a passenger first. Had to replace the clutch and brakes shortly after buying which maybe if I drove I would have noticed...

Anyway lots of people buy from Japan without even seeing the car. If you're buying from HJA you'll have no problems

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I've now bought maybe 8 cars from HJA.

Yes they do present the cars well. That's part of having good attention to detail and showing your stock in the best light.

But I'd rather see a car clean underneath so I can see if there is any rust than try to look through a thin layer of road grime.

I've used several importers. Attention to detail varies a lot and the HJA cars are good.

I think we need to be realistic.
Doing a bit of cosmetic work to show a car in it's best light and tarting up an old shitter to sell it for top money are completely different things.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
...without ever having driven one first? Just wondered as I’m finding it hard to arrange a test drive. I headed over to HJA yesterday to drive that lovely grey car but the roads were wet/muddy and those guys don’t let the cars out unless it’s dry. They have them on ramps polishing underneath so I understand why!

I know how I want and imagine a 500bhp r34 to drive but am reluctant to bite the bullet and advertise my Tuscan for sale until I know it’s what I really want. I also don’t want to waste anyone’s time. Tricky.
Baring in mind I live locally and have 14 R34s of various tune tucked away maybe drop me a message and I can sort something out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes having met Ozz at HJA and seeing their stock I have few doubts that any car I bought from them would be excellent. It’s not a case of wanting a testdrive to check for issues, it’s one of wanting to know 100% that an r34 is the right car for me. I want rawness, agility, theatre and speed. I sold my r35 after 6 months as it bored me to tears. I’ve had a c6 Z06 corvette which was much more like it, a noble m400 for 3 years (epic) and two different Tuscans. If I’m honest, the Tuscan I have now is probably my favourite ever car but I look at r34 prices and am afraid that if I wait I may not be able to afford a good one in a couple of years. But is it what I’m hoping it will be? I don’t want just a bigger, heavier, faster scooby (had 6 of those) but something really special...

Jack (bigr20) has offered to let me drive his so I’m a very lucky man.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Agility, look elsewhere.

Id have said Noble m400 :chuckle:

Here...Ultimate agility
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/lotus-exige-s-2015-uprated-1900-supercharger-harness-pack-400-bhp-mega-performance-track-ready/8684663

If I had 50-70k to blow Id get Honda NSX or a Porsche 996 GT3 maybe even look at a 355 Berlinetta Coupe.

Will probably have dog turds sent to me for saying that on here but...... 50-70k + for a 20 year old Nissan is getting a tad silly.

Just one mans perspective.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've never driven a TVR but I think a Skyline and a TVR are two completely different beasts.

I would think a TVR is a very very "bare bones" kind of car but that's not to say a Skyline doesn't have rawness, agility and theatre.

Hopefully a test drive in one will help you make the choice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agility, look elsewhere.

Id have said Noble m400 :chuckle:

Here...Ultimate agility
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/lotus-exige-s-2015-uprated-1900-supercharger-harness-pack-400-bhp-mega-performance-track-ready/8684663

If I had 50-70k to blow Id get Honda NSX or a Porsche 996 GT3 maybe even look at a 355 Berlinetta Coupe.

Will probably have dog turds sent to me for saying that on here but...... 50-70k + for a 20 year old Nissan is getting a tad silly.

Just one mans perspective.
You make a lot of sense and if this was a purely financial/logical decision you’d be right. However:

At 6-4 I can barely even get in an exige/Elise let alone drive one.
Having been offered a facelift nsx 5 years ago for £38k and turning it down (worth £100k now) I feel that boat has sailed. Bit sluggish anyway ;)
The 355s are overrated in my opinion and, again, I don’t really fit.
The 996 gt3 is an excellent call - I’ve driven a couple and love them but I’d prefer to sink more cash into it and buy a 997 if I was going in that direction.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You make a lot of sense and if this was a purely financial/logical decision you***8217;d be right. However:

At 6-4 I can barely even get in an exige/Elise let alone drive one.
Having been offered a facelift nsx 5 years ago for £38k and turning it down (worth £100k now) I feel that boat has sailed. Bit sluggish anyway ;)
The 355s are overrated in my opinion and, again, I don***8217;t really fit.
The 996 gt3 is an excellent call - I***8217;ve driven a couple and love them but I***8217;d prefer to sink more cash into it and buy a 997 if I was going in that direction.
F430?

I get a phone call....

"You've won 90k"

"Oh, great"

"You can have an f430 or an r34 gtr?"

No brainer.

Big tick in the theater and agility boxes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn***8217;t spend £90k on an r34 no, but £50k or so I might.

Guess what: I don***8217;t really fit in a 430(unless it has the carbon seats).

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
But is it what I’m hoping it will be? I don’t want just a bigger, heavier, faster scooby (had 6 of those) but something really special...
From what you've said NiallGTR, No I think you'll be disappointed with a BNR34. Its not that these Skyline's are not thrilling machines when your behind the wheel, Its just that they are way more polished and capable in the way they efficiently transfer their power to the road than the rawness of the vehicles you've mentioned above.

Its almost (dare I say it) as if 500bhp isn't enough to worry a Skyline GTR and that means you'll (and the rest of us mere mortals) probably run out of spectator pleasing talent before the Car runs out of Tarmac abusing ability if you know what I mean!

Jack (bigr20) has offered to let me drive his so I’m a very lucky man.
So I'm eager to know your opinions on this after taking one for a spin. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I***8217;ll be sure to give a full report.

Is 500bhp about the right amount for an enjoyable, fast road r34? I***8217;ve been advised as much...

·
Registered
771 Posts
I***8217;ll be sure to give a full report.

Is 500bhp about the right amount for an enjoyable, fast road r34? I***8217;ve been advised as much...
450-500 is a requirement for a skyline Id say due to their sluggish bottom end and over all weight. The best thing about skylines imo is the steering feel. Also they dont feel as big as they look when you are behind the wheel, it's comes as a surprise.

The R35 though probably feels even bigger than it looks, as youll know :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts