GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a 1998 R34 GTT with an RB25DET series 2 R33 GTST engine. The previous owner used the R33 engine loom ,clocks,heater etc

He wants to refit the R34 speedo cluster, does anyone know how in-depth the rewiring is to achieve this?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
A friend has a 1998 R34 GTT with an RB25DET series 2 R33 GTST engine. The previous owner used the R33 engine loom ,clocks,heater etc

He wants to refit the R34 speedo cluster, does anyone know how in-depth the rewiring is to achieve this?
Ok whilst i get this, the previous owner has left your friend in quite a spot!
Not knowing how (or why) the engine was swapped is the real issue - why after the engine swap there was a loom or wiring change when the engines are nearly identical - it makes me ask if it was a genuine GT-t or if it's a GT +t. Given the 25DET-NEO were the Gen 2 2.5L 33GTST engines it starts to get super confusing!

Long and the short i guess is that replacing the loom looks to be what you're looking at now. Whether ordering one online and hoping it works or taking in to a pro to get them to custom make one for you - because we don't know what the previous owner did to fit that older cluster you'd be best to run it past a pro - he could also look at an ECU and tune at the same time which I'm certain will help in the long run too! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
The car was originally a 2.0 non turbo manual
So it is NOT A GT-T.
Please don't take this the wrong way, not angry, just somewhat frustrated.
What you call a car is in the end up to you (and the registration papers) BUT if you don't tell the whole story to people on the internet who you're asking help and advice from then you will not get the right advice. Don't shoot yourself in the foot - just be honest and tell the whole story. :)

OK Now we know the car is a GT +t we can easily see why the previous owner did what they did and can take steps to correct it.
IF the car's dash had remained in place, then to get it to a working order you'd technically just need the ECU from a REAL GT-t and things should go ok from there.
BUT he did do the dash swap and that's the problem - though you could turn it to your advantage.
From past experiences with my own GT-t, any performance modifications - from intake through fuel system to exhaust, if you modify a 25DET you NEED to get it tuned. It will not run right costing you money in wasted petrol at best, blowing a hole in the block at worst.
So, it comes down to getting someone into the loom to wire up the dash and fit an ECU that will actually run the turbo (Link G4 GTTLINK comes to mind).

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has the Rising Sun Performance 400 upgrade, as far as we know its the stock ECU thats been remapped. Its been running about 380hp for quite a few years with minimal issues so changing the set up would be pointless.

The reason he wants to change it, is because the R33 cluster doesn't fit very well in the R34 dash binacle, so we're trying to tidy it up etc

·
Registered
151 Posts
So it is NOT A GT-T.
Please don't take this the wrong way, not angry, just somewhat frustrated.
What you call a car is in the end up to you (and the registration papers) BUT if you don't tell the whole story to people on the internet who you're asking help and advice from then you will not get the right advice. Don't shoot yourself in the foot - just be honest and tell the whole story. :)
Mate - go back to "Rising Sun Performance" and get them to sort it.
:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts