GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you R34 owners out there, know what's required to get the TV function and also to be able to play DVD's up there ??????

I had heard it was just as simple as getting a tuning module, but having just installed my MFD V2 from Nismo........thanks DCD :) I can't see where the thing would interface with the screen.

Any ideas ???????

Cheers
Fraser

PS TV in NZ is the same as the UK.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi fraser,

I don't have an answer for you, actually I have the same queston as you. Do anyone know if there is a video input into the factory R34 LCD screen?

I have a R34 V-spec II also and I am going to install the MFD V2 pretty soon, how was the installation procedure? Was it difficult?

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The only way I've seen to get a TV or DVD output to the MFD is with the factory option kit which also combines a navigation system.
That option has a TV tuner and a video input connection for DVD etc.
However, most people in Japan just go for an aftermarket addition which will fit the normal DIN sockets.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
MFD Upgrade

Yeah the installation is quite easy.

You need to lever the main air vent off from the passenger side, but using a screwdriver and a good cloth or some material. It's really tricky to make sure you dont leave an imprint in the dash, or scratch the vent, but it is possible as I've done it 10 times or so over the last 3 months (explain later)

Once you've got that off you remove 2 screws which hold the shroud for the MFD to the dash. Once those are off the shroud just lifts off (it's hooked at the back). The shrouds off and you need to remove 4 bolt/screws (they are both) and that'll free the whole assembled MFD from the dash.

Of course once you've lossened the unit you'll need to disconnect the cables from behind. This is a little fiddy as there isn't too much cable slack so you've got to wrap your head around the dash to see them :) but it's possible.

There's a small locking lug on top of each of the 2 connectors that can be pushed down with a little screwdriver and at the same time wiggle the connectors loose (there's 2)

The whole MFD is out. There's a few screws to remove from the casing (I could explain, but it's really obvious), once you've got these out you can unscrew the 2 boards which need to be replaced.

There are a few ribbon connections, but again common sense will see you get these out and back in with no issues.

Replace the boards, put it all back together again, remembering to run the RS232 cable to the passenger side first, and the lap counter wire / button.........instructions on that are pretty clear (although my lap timer button doesn't work yet) working with DCD to sort that one.

Screw the whole thing back in place and you're sorted..........

Well almost..................my first install was sweet, all worked first time ................for about 45 minutes and whilst I was out driving it just went blank and wouldn't come back to life. Took it out and put the original back, worked OK so put the MFD 2 back in, no go................this went on and on as DCD and myself were trying things out to make it go, but it never did :mad: and ended up having to 2 new boards from Nismo.

All refitted and working OK now though...................3 months later......................delivery is shocking in Japan.

Anyhow once you've got it all fitted mechanically you need to set the thing up. If you don't then you won't have half of the things you normally get on the screen with the horizontal green bars.

Oh yeah............and there's the 2.0 bar boost valve to fit, but that's a piece of cake too, again pictures are good enough to get that done.

Back to the setup.

Don't touch the accelerator........Switch the ignition on..........the screen will display some japanese writing on the left of the screen the only english bit says off............press the joystick in once.............the writing will move to the right of the screen............switch off ignition.

Switch the ignition on whilst holding the joystick in. Release the joystick 1 second after you see the GTR logo, then straight after that press the joystick 5 times in 3 seconds whilst the GTR logo is still displayed.

This should display an accelerator setup box, at this point just push the accelerator back and forth to make sure it's registering properly.

Once that's done, turn off the ignition again.

This time start the car, again holding down the joystick and again pressing it 5 times in 3 seconds. This time you should get a display of all of the functions supported..........eg exhaust temp, oil temp, yaw rate, steering etc.

Some of them will be black and some will be green. The green ones are ones that the MFD is registering an input from. At this point you'll need to go for a drive to get oil temp, water temp etc etc to register. That's why it's important to start the car for this stage.

If you switch the ignition off before they're all green, they simply won't appear on the MFD once it's up and running. it's just blank.

This procedure works for the factory MFD too, I've tried it.

The first time I put in my MFD 2 I didn't let them all go green and turned off the ignition and the MFD only showed oil pressure and intake temp and boost, all the others were missing !!!

Once you've been out for a drive and they all show green. Stop the car, turn off the ignition. Restart the car and you're all done.

You're probably thinking oh my god this guys must have nothing better to write about :) but it's taken me 3-4 months to get this far so I hope it helps save you some time.

PS You've got DCD to thank for the setup part..............I got stuck on that too !!! :)

Thanks
Fraser

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
MFD and TV

Hi Bean,

When you say they just get an aftermarket solution to fit normal DIN's, I don't understand what you mean.

The MFD 2 that I've just installed has 3 connectors and they all have plugs in them, there's the RS232, the brown one in the middle that is chocca, and the white one nearest the drivers side which isn't as full, there doesn't appear to be any way to get any type of video signal into the unit.

It's a real arse because I'd like to get my new DVD/CD stereo cranking in there. The company I use here don't have the foggiest.

Any help is appreciated.

Fraser :cool:

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
canman/canman2 (whats going on here then:confused: )

There have been a few discussions on this subject, dating back to the old board. The conclusions were that if you dont have a NTSC signal then you can forget about it!! The other thing is that you would need a tv interface between the receiver and the MFD...ie to change channel and fiddle with the other functions. Nissan's factory option Tv/DVD navi system is the only thing that could make that work! Not only but this would be all in Japanese including OSD functions!

You are better off fitting those pop-out screens like Pioneer makes...which includes a DVD slot and DTS slot....for the complete GTR sorround sound experience;)

Any more luck withe the s/s button???

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Canman,

Maybe DCD put it more simply, but meant the same; buy the Pioneer aftermarket unit with the pop out screen etc, as the only way to get the MFD to display the TV/DVD picture is with the factory Navi option.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Oh noooooo

That's a bloody disaster................haven't got space for a pop out screen type unit due to the positions I've got other gear..............

Seems like a real double up too.................ARSE @[email protected]#@#@

So what sorta $'s are we talking for the satnav setup ??????

So there's no one out there who's using the screen for TV ???????

I've talked to Nissan this afternoon and they've said that there's a small tuner unit that is removed when they sell them into NZ and they're going to try to find out if they can get it back for me............maybe I can get it modified.

There's gotta be another way round it somehow............there has to be.....................I hope !! :confused:

Fraser

PS Canman and Canman2 are in fact................................the same person :eek: ;) I had to make another login as my original was playing up, but it's seems OK now.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Canman,

You might be able to get the factory option from Nissan (see pic), but this also means changing the AC controls, and, as DCD said, it is all in Japanese.
I used my GT-R in Japan for 2 yrs and really needed the Navi, but now that that car is in the UK the TV Navi unit's only benefit is the video input sockets you can see on the left of the unit.
I'm going to have it all removed and replaced with the standard dash which I can then fit Pioneer kit into.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
R34 Display

So does that unit you've shown the picture of......(thanks by the way it's nicer to see what someones talking about) take DVD's ??? As that's all I want to do ?????? It's for show purposes not toss factor.

Are you interested in seeling yours if you're taking it out ????

Thanks for the feedback, it's like pulling teeth trying to find out anything useful.

Cheers
Fraser :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting

Just had a thought...................I was looking at the picture you posted, and on it, there was a button for TV. That in itself isnt' strange, but then I thought, so whats the TV button up next to the joystick for and I noticed that Dino's car doesn't have a TV button up by the joystick...........just an imprint where it is on my car............

Wonder if they've changed how they do it on VSPEC II or 2001 models ????????? Or maybe because it's NZ new and not a Japanese import !!!! ?????

Oh god..........this is getting wierd ! :)

Does anyone else have a TV button up next to the joystick...........little round one ??

Fraser
PS My canman logins not working again as it says I'm logged in but I'm not so I've got to use my alter ego until it times out !!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Canman,

The unit there does not take DVD's although the current factory unit (2001 onwards) does take DVD ROM but not DVD video.:(
I don't think that you'll want my unit since it does not do what you want it to.
I use a Sony Portable DVD player in the glove box and just connect the inputs so that I can see it on the MFD.
My car (which is a 99 vspec) also does not have the TV button on the MFD, I think that this is probably connected with the change to DVD navi in 2001 ?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
MFD and DVD

Yeah so I suppose what it really comes down to is talking a little more to Nissan and see what they come up with as a suggestion................I just don't like all the add-on type bits you know..............like to keep it tidy.

For instance the new stereo I'm about to fit can play DVD's and if I could just hook that into the screen I'd be sweet...............

Otherwise I've got to have a stereo, half useful satnav, dvd player in the glovebox.....................

I'd just like to do it in a tidier way if possible, but it's not always is it !!!!!! :-(

Cheers again
Fraser

·
Registered
48 Posts
TV Button

Must be another explanation for no TV button because.......

I have a 1999 Japanese R34 with the factory installed Sat Navi Unit plus the factory installed Alpine CD/MD Stereo unit. I have the TV button on my MFD unit right near the joystick.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Canman,

Thank you very much for the details instruction, I will definitely follow your tip when I install mine MFD2 in a few weeks!

Bean,

Are you interested in selling your factory Navi/TV unit after you remove it? I am definitely interested in it.

Here is another picture of a R34 with the Navi system in it, he doen't have the TV button next to the joystick, anyone know what the deal is??

Thanks all!

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
R34 MFD

That is really wierd, I wonder what the difference is...............there's gotta be something in it..............................this is the only annoying thing with Skyline GTR's is that the only people who know them when it comes to all this add on stuff is the japanese.

There's gotta be someone who can find out from Japan, it's just a matter of finding him !!!! :-(

Had the same lack of knowledge when I wanted to buy the optional waterspray kit that Nissan show as an option. They gave me a lovely brochure with the pictures of it and other options but no-ones got a clue !!!!!

Very annoying.

Oh well............patience is a virtue right !!!!

Fraser

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Whats this then??? Fraser I DO HAVE the TV button next to the MFD!!
They only remove it if you have the tv/navi stuff fitted!
;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 97 Posts