GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at wiring diagrams, getting it working in the car doesnt look too hard - all the sensors are there, they just arent shown to the driver in a 33. The only ones that wont work will be the intake temp, which can be wired to show ambient temp instead, also the steering/yaw rate and the G-Force meters wont work unless I buy sensors. All the rest is there in some form or another.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good to see you got it working. I bought one, probably off the same person as you, that wasn't working and fixed mine too.
Just fitted it in my R34, but I've yet to make the connections to the ECU side. I think I will need the different boost sensor though. The mfd sees the boost sensor, but isn't registering anything.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Does the MFD make use of any of the ODB outputs or are they all directly picked up from the various sensors?

I only ask as I know the ODB output is not avialable when an Apexi PFC is fitted (as I have) and cannot connect certain information systems (eg. HKS CAMP)

Would be interested in doing this if will work with the Apexi.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Does the MFD make use of any of the ODB outputs or are they all directly picked up from the various sensors?

I only ask as I know the ODB output is not avialable when an Apexi PFC is fitted (as I have) and cannot connect certain information systems (eg. HKS CAMP)

No, it uses all the vehicles sensors and some inputs from the ECU (speed,throttle position,inj duration and tach)

·
Registered
736 Posts
wow this is incredible.

how possible would this be to fit into a R32? i know that the 32 and 33 are quite close in terms of ECU management as you can actually use a 33 ecu in a 32 and vice versa (PFC anyways..)

so, would this also be posisble to do for a 32?

can you post pics of the back of your mfd? and show us how you did this exactly? and a wiring diagram would be the bees knees.

are you an electrical engineer?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

thats where i'm coming from aswell, i love the camp system but run a pfc.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Good to see you got it working. I bought one, probably off the same person as you, that wasn't working and fixed mine too.
Just fitted it in my R34, but I've yet to make the connections to the ECU side. I think I will need the different boost sensor though. The mfd sees the boost sensor, but isn't registering anything.
Yes, your boost gauge is reading upto 2.0bar, so you will need the 2bar sensor as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

As has been said, the MFD runs using the cars various sensors and it doesnt matter if you have an aftermarket ECU it will still work. Yes it would be possible to put one into an R32, the wiring will be almost identical to the wiring for an R33, as they can share ECUs and im guessing gauge pinouts will be similar too. The only thing with the 32 is the dash shape, though on my various searches on the internet, I saw a picture where somebody had mounted the screen where the centre gauges/radio would go and had the MFD motherboards in the glovebox, so it can be done.

Pics of the back of the MFD will be put up later so you can see how ive done it, its really not hard and I would be more than happy to help others out with this conversion if needed.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Poor quality pic below of the back of the MFD. Each wire has just had a motherboard pin crimped on and then heat-shrinked to avoid shorting. White plug houses all the grounds and powers, brown is all the sensors.

Ive been doing some more research regarding what sensors will and wont work and I believe the R33 intake temp sensor will work with the MFD :cool:

Spent this afternoon looking at how the cover is going to fit on the dash. After cutting a hole in my mockup dash to see if the cover could simply sit in place, the contours didnt line up exactly, so Ive had to take the drastic measure of starting to fibreglass the edges of the MFD cover to suit the 33 dash. No pics im afraid as it looks rubbish at the moment, not been sanded to shape. Pics tommorrow hopefully when ive gotten it shaped on the mockup dash, or if you dont hear back from me, its because ive screwed up and am waiting another 3 weeks for a new cover :nervous:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Question - how does the MFD get injector readings? Reason far asking is I run FCon VPro, so any figures from the stock ECU would be useless. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
For an R33 GTR the MFD reads injector duty from the ECU, pin 17. I dont know how an FCon VPro works, so cant answer that question sorry.

Rockabilly - thats the guy who inspired me to put the MFD in mine. Ive been working from his wiring diagram - though have since found a couple of bits im not sure are entirely correct. Its sods law that his pics of mounting it in the dash are no longer hosted so im working blind from here on really.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
For an R33 GTR the MFD reads injector duty from the ECU, pin 17. I dont know how an FCon VPro works, so cant answer that question sorry.

Rockabilly - thats the guy who inspired me to put the MFD in mine. Ive been working from his wiring diagram - though have since found a couple of bits im not sure are entirely correct. Its sods law that his pics of mounting it in the dash are no longer hosted so im working blind from here on really.
Keep up the good work - When you pull this off you have my vote for 33 owner of the year:clap:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

no probs mate, pics do load just not the top few, you have tow ait its slow but they do come one ..

21 - 40 of 112 Posts