GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys what is the limits of the rb25det and the auto tranny? I am debating on either building the auto tranny or swapping the car over to manual.

And in the engine department is it worth the time and effort to swap in a rb26dett? My goals are 400whp on pump gas. Is this possible with the rb25?

·
Registered
923 Posts
400whp is possible with the RB25NEO version but the gearbox will have to go (either rebuilt Manual or new tranny - OSGiken/Holinger etc). You can now get 1000cc injectors now for GTT's (max used to be 480cc) so apart from the obvious stuff like a big turbo/rebuilt engine etc I can't think of any reason why 400whp can't be done.

My RB26 is a fantastic drive with much better torque than the RB25 but unless you can get an R34 RB26 it can be a hassle wiring up an older RB26 (mine is an R33 one)

Can you keep us updated as you built this as well? It'd be great to see!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will keep you guys updated. Before I do anything with car I have to get rid of my last car. Which happened to be a 400whp MINI Cooper S. Custom turbo converted blah blah blah. I am certainly looking forward to actually having one of the best platforms in the world to start with.

What are the limiting factors on this motor? Ring lands too high on the pistons? Weak rods? Spun rod bearings?

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
I thought the Auto gearbox could take a good deal of power? Wasn't Buster running high 300's with his?

Simon

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Just for fun we tested an auto to destruction, got a stock auto car, wound up the boost, added 125hp of NOS and really abused it in burnout comps, drags etc and it actually handled it pretty well, so much so that we decided to test what would happen if we drove along at 50mph, click into N, hard on the throttle, hold on rev limiter and chuck it in Reverse!! unreal feeling as the wheels started spinning backwards and the car slowed down, just before it stops, turn the wheel and it does a 180 and carries on backwards in 1 smooth motion, :chuckle: key point.....keep your foot hard on the throttle the whole time. :cool:
Great fun and it lasted for about 30 or 40 of those then for some reason it was not the best after that. :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um ok I'm deff not swapping the tranny then. I will just push it until it goes. I'm planning on doing a metal head gasket and head studs. And then maybe a Gt35r and a front mount. Not sure about engine managent though....

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I'd leave the motor alone as well, get a good computer/tuner and spend time/money on that, 500+whp is possible with a good setup on a totally stock internal motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will be doing the tunning myself prob. There's not a person that I know of that I would trust to do the job. Do you know anyone on the east coast of the US?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts